Guitar Cake

Decorating By tugboat Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm by CakeMommyTX

tugboat Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 10

I am needing to make a guitar cake which I am sure it will be somewhat heavy and needs a sturdy board to sit on...if anyone has made a guitar cake before that is bigger than an 11X15 board please let me know what you used for the board. Does anyone have any good ideas? More than likely it won't even fit into a cake box as well. I also need good ideas of what to use for the covering in order to cover it up overnight. Thanks!

9 replies
korkyo Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #2 of 10

I just did one but I did not have a box to put it in. I just explained up front that there is not a box that will fit and there is no way to cove it without damaging it. She diden't mind.

I used two full sheet boards that overlapped by 3" and taped them together and then covered the whole thing in fancy foil. (cake board stuff)

sweetcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 10

i buy the really large sheets of foam core from hobby lobby and cut to fit. for the box i use 2 full sheet boxes, cutting one in half and laying the full one in the middle, then tape it together. i use cello to cover the top.

korkyo Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 10

cool idea!! Thanks,

Starkie Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 10

For my guitar cake, my husband cut a piece of plywood (or maybe it was MDF?) about 3 1/2 feet long to accomodate the guitar. I covered it with contact paper, and put the cake directly on it. Worked great, perfectly stable, no problems!

msauer Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 10

Alot of my cakes end up being fairly large, so I buy pieces of actual wood at Lowe's. They can cut it to the size you need. I cover with the same kind of foil the cake drum are covered with and secure to the back with heavy tape (like clear packing tape).

I didn't know what to do either when I did my first guitar (in my gallery), so I ended up piecing boards together....waaaaay unprofessional and it was 11:00 at night- so I made do with what I had. If you look in my photos, there is a blackjack cake made of two 11 x 15 cakes, so they were placed on a 24" x 24" hardboard.

Good luck and make sure you post your beautiful creation!!!!

suzted7 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 10

For mine, I just went to Michaels and bought foamboard. It was about an inch thick and VERY sturdy. I had NO problems at all. Just covered in fancy foil and .....done!

luelue1971 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 10

I also used the foamcore board. I delivered the cake uncovered but I put glasses around the cake and covered it with a large sheet the night before. I have also loosly laid plastic wrap over it if it after the buttercream had crusted.

Copacabanya Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 10

My board was 40 inches long so I also used foam core from Hobby Lobby. I just sliced two sheets in half and stacked them 4 deep and secured the sides with tape before covering with cake foil. Mine was all fondant so I just covered it with cling wrap to deliver it. Worked out fine. But one thing that almost got me was I forgot to measure my car! We went to load it up and I had maybe a half inch of clearance. lol So make sure you don't make your board too big to deliver it! icon_smile.gif

Have fun!

CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 10

I made a life size guitar cake once and I used mdf to put it on.
I went to Home Depot and they cut it the size I needed and then I covered it fanci foil.
It worked great and was very sturdy.
The cake was covered in fondant so I was able to loosely cover it in plastic wrap over night and on the way to the delivery.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%