There Has Got To Be A Better Way

Decorating By karateka Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 12

To do lace points, that is...

I spent hours on this today, and didn't accomplish much. I tried to strain my RI through a stocking to get rid of lumps, and boy is that a PITA. I got icing all over my hands, and basically had to scrape it off the outside of the stocking. It took forever and was a major mess. THen after all that, it was still clogging up my size 0 tube and I had to use my 1S. I'm not happy with how they look.

Plus, I think my RI is too stiff. It didn't seem so, but I was having to press pretty hard on that bag to get that stuff to come out. My eyes are crossed and my hands hurt. Problem is, when I first mixed it, it was falling out of the tip. So I emptied the bag, added some PS, and tried again. About 3 times before I finally filtered it through the nylons. Maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong??? How can you tell when the consistency is right? And PLEASE tell me the trick to getting that RI through pantyhose!! There has to be an easier way, doesn't there??? And why did it still clog up my 0 tip?? Oh, so annoyed!!!
LL

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 12

From the picture, they look very nice.

When you strain the icing, just strain a small amount at a time, it is still messy, but a bit easier to manage. not more than about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. Strain it into a small container, and thin it with lemon juice.

using a small pastry bag gives you more control, and it it is hard to squeeze, your icing is too thick.

good luck.

karateka Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks, JoAnnB-

Those are good tips, I might have done too much at once....probably about a cup or a little over.

How do you know you have the right consistency? I went from way to drippy to way too stiff in a microsecond. Is there a way to test it, other than just putting it through the tip you plan to use, then emptying the bag and adjusting the consistency if it's off? That could take forever. (and in my case, HAS) grrr...

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 12

Wow, those look beautiful to me! It sounds like quite the procedure!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 12

I'm one who has suggested the pantyhose method. I've never had a mess problem w/it - so sorry you did.
<...I tried to strain my RI through a stocking to get rid of lumps, and boy is that a PITA. I got icing all over my hands, and basically had to scrape it off the outside of the stocking...>
I put the cut-off leg of the pantyhose on my hand like a glove and fill my palm as full as I can - maybe around 2/3-1Cup. Remove the leg from my hand while turning it inside-out so the icing is now in the stocking and push it thru. I've never had to scrape it off. It comes out sooooo cute - like the underside of a mushroom icon_smile.gif
I've seldom used tip 0 so I'm not sure if that might be why it clogged up on you. Usually I use tip 1.

As far as consistency: Once you have beaten it until it looses it shine and it's ready, then I add about 1 teaspoon piping gel per 1/2 cup of icing.
The tip about working w/a small bag is right on. Usually I take a (is it a?) 15" parchment triangle, tear it in 1/2, then tear that in 1/2 and sometimes once more so the cone is no more than about 3" long from point to end of bag when rolled.
It takes such a little bit of icing to make those with tiny tips and is sooooo much easier on your hands.

When royal icing for lace points is made in England they start w/a fresh egg white and a spoon! You mix the egg white until it froths, then start adding powdered sugar **one tablespoon** at a time until it is the 'right consistency'! icon_smile.gif

karateka Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #6 of 12

Ok, I was definitely working with icing that was too stiff, then. Mine practically needed a vise grip to push the icing out, and it just beaded up on the stocking and wouldn't "fall" off or anything similar!

And I had no idea I needed a bag THAT small. I've never worked with one that small before....I guess I'll try that tomorrow or Sunday if I have a free minute.

My problem is how to get the right consistency. How do you know what that is? One second it's practically running out of the tip. Add a small spoonful of PS and it's stiff. What's up with that? Is there an objective measure of proper consistency or is it all trial and error? Trial and error takes too freakin' long.... icon_rolleyes.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 12

Why do you need to strain it?? I've used a tip 00 before with royal icing and it didn't clog. I sifted the sugar but that's it....antonia's recipe.

For me when it's the "right" consistency the icing does flow out of the bag a little. You just have to try and contain it between points.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

To do lace points, that is...

I spent hours on this today, and didn't accomplish much. I tried to strain my RI through a stocking to get rid of lumps, and boy is that a PITA. I got icing all over my hands, and basically had to scrape it off the outside of the stocking. It took forever and was a major mess. THen after all that, it was still clogging up my size 0 tube and I had to use my 1S. I'm not happy with how they look.

Plus, I think my RI is too stiff. It didn't seem so, but I was having to press pretty hard on that bag to get that stuff to come out. My eyes are crossed and my hands hurt. Problem is, when I first mixed it, it was falling out of the tip. So I emptied the bag, added some PS, and tried again. About 3 times before I finally filtered it through the nylons. Maybe you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong??? How can you tell when the consistency is right? And PLEASE tell me the trick to getting that RI through pantyhose!! There has to be an easier way, doesn't there??? And why did it still clog up my 0 tip?? Oh, so annoyed!!!

Oh i feel your pain. I've had this happen to me many a times. I think i have the RI the right consistency only to find once i start piping it's too stiff. I take more time fiddling with the icing consistency then actual piping. It drives me batty. The last time i used that small of a tip it was a nightmare, so now they sit in my work box collecting dust. I wish i had some advise for you, but i don't. Just wanted to let you know your not alone. BTW your lace points look really pretty. Hopefully they will come off easily for you..that's another problem i have..breakage..arghhh RI

suz

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 12

I am also not understanding why strain through a stocking? I have never used or heard of this and have made plenty of little designs ahead of time like this. I just use a no tip bag usually, maybe a tip if necessary and never had problems? Royal shouldn't be any harder to push out the bag than icing, at least thats my opinion. Also if you don't whip enough maybe thats part of the problem with it being loose?

c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 12

Also if you make sure to spray parchment paper with pan spray they should come off really well. I have had breakage but usually if I haven't sprayed enough.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 12

I always sift my confectioner's sugar before making royal icing. Also, if you are going to be using such a small tip, then the icing should be freshly made. Older icing tends to crust slightly on the sides of the container and that can clog. Cover the unused icing with a wet cloth, not plastic wrap and EVERY time I set down my bag or change tips, I wrap the bag and tips in a wet cloth.

As far as the consistency, fresh royal should never be runny. Royal icing should be mixed slowly for at least 7 minutes. When finished it will have a cool whip thickness that should not run. The egg whites or meringue powder is what gives it that fluffiness. If you have runny royal, adding more CS won't help. Your icing is not too wet, it has not fluffed. Does that make sense? icon_confused.gif

Some days are just bad royal icing days, I've had them too. Whether it is the humidity or what, royal icing can be tempermental but it should not be hard to squeeze out of the bag.

Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, KathysCc-

That does make sense. Thanks.

This whole thing really is driving me batty. Even after straining through a stocking, my 1S has clogged up 4 times in the last 20 min I spent trying to make more of those contrary things.

I know I'm making the icing properly, so I don't know what the problem is, but I'm really having to watch my language since the kids are home today. icon_redface.gif

I guess it's trial by fire. I'll probably get docked major points for my lace points, but I'm going to keep the idea anyway, and just try real hard between now and then to get enough decent ones so I don't embarrass myself! icon_lol.gif Nothing was ever gained by not taking the chance, I guess....

Thanks for all the help. Between now and OSSAS I'll incorporate them all and see how I do!

Sweetcravings, thanks for the moral support! It feels good to know I'm not alone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%