Air Brush Questions??

Decorating By Briniga Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 12:57am by Yomomma

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 32

Ok I bought an air brush kit, but how do i fill it, like when using luster dust, wat do i mix with it & how full do i fill the little bottle? & can i put the paint colors for cake in there & do I mix it with anything?

31 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 32

I only use airbrush colors, but mine has a little cup on top not a bottle. Sorry

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 32

you'll need to get some airbrush food coloring. then probably enough bottles so you can put a differant color in each. the airbrush color is already the right consistency . as for the lustre dust, just make sure you keep the bottle well shaken so the powder doesn;t settle in the bottle.

Briniga Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

you'll need to get some airbrush food coloring. then probably enough bottles so you can put a differant color in each. the airbrush color is already the right consistency . as for the lustre dust, just make sure you keep the bottle well shaken so the powder doesn;t settle in the bottle.

But with the lustre dust do I need to mix water or liquor with it? & how full should I fill it? Also can I use the icing colors used to color fondant etc? And where do I get airbrush food coloring? Sorry for all the questions.

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:41am
post #5 of 32

globalsugarart.com or cakes n things i use.

sweetcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 32

the lustre dust needs to be mixed with a clear alcohol, now you can get shimmer airbrush colours,i love the pearl that are already liquid ready to use. the dust settles in those bottles too, so it will need a good shake.

americolor make airbrush colours, kopykake any where that sells cake supplies should have them, not michaels or hobbylobby though.

Briniga Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 32

Can I have the luster dust in the bottle dry, just the dust with no alcohol, will that work? Its CK products

Briniga Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 32

Also will it work with water mixed with dry luster dust in there?

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #9 of 32

Please anyone?? help, thanks

sweetcakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #10 of 32

no, you need to use the alcohol because it evaporates quickly without soaking into the icing or fondant and 'melting' it. the wilton clear vanilla is alcohol so try mixing it with that if you dont want to buy everclear

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 32

Thanks alot icon_smile.gif Hey does regular clear vanilla work, or does it have to be wilton brand?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #12 of 32

I recommend vodka. Everclear evaporates so quickly it pretty much is gone as it's vaporized out of the airbrush. Wilton clear vanilla extract has ingredients other than alcohol, so I personally wouldn't risk clogging the gun.

Larry's Arts & Crafts sells Americolor airbrush colors.

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #13 of 32

Ok thanks, Larry's is 5 minutes from me, so I can go there.

Cakepro Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #14 of 32

You live about 15 minutes away from me. icon_smile.gif Do you belong to any of the local cake clubs?

~ Sherri

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #15 of 32

Hey wow thats cool icon_smile.gif

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #16 of 32

I'm a member at Larry's, but I've only gone a few times to the meetings, I dont know of any else, otherwise I probably would join. I'm kinda new to the whole professional cake making, I've only been doing it abt a year.

Cakepro Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #17 of 32

Awesome! icon_smile.gif

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #18 of 32

If u know of any clubs to join, let me know

sweetcakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #19 of 32

if your going to Larry's get the airbrush shimmer already mixed.

it will be the dusts that clogs your AB, not the alcohol, but like someone mentioned everclear does evaporate quickly, so any clear booze will do.

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #20 of 32

Ok, thanks

Briniga Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #21 of 32

Ok im not sure if i got the right stuff...i bought amerimist air brush food color. But dont I need an airbrush dust?

Cakepro Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #22 of 32

You bought airbrush color. I know I've seen the bottled pearl dust in liquid for airbrushes there. If you have dry super pearl, luster dust, etc., you can mix it with vodka and shoot it through your airbrush, but you do risk clogging it. The bottled airbrush shimmer dust liquids have a finer particle size than regular dry dusts.

Now, that being said, I took an airbrushing class from Bronwen Weber a couple of weekends ago and she said she shoots super pearl + vodka through her airbrush all the time. I bought a Preval sprayer from Home Depot that I use for spraying super pearl, but today I think I will play around with shooting it through my airbrush. Last week, I ordered a much nicer airbrush that the one I have and it got here yesterday. woot!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #23 of 32

I bought some of the pearl colored airbrush color from that sugar craft place in Ohio ( I know everyone says their customer service stinks but I really wanted it) I paid like 10 bucks for an 8 oz. bottle (will take me forever to use it all, however I do spray almost EVERYTHING with it lol I love the shimmer) here's a cake I did yesterday with it! Looks even more sparkly and gorgeous in person. Mixing the dust with alcohol works ok but the clogging makes me crazy!! Oh and don't dare let your airbrush sit after you use it with dust, wash it immediately or you'll never get the stuff unclogged.
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #24 of 32

kathy Scott has an airbrush pearl dust she sells on Ebay. Her store name is Sweet Express or Sweet Expressions (something like that.)

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #25 of 32

I'm so glad I found this post!

So if you order specifically airbrush colors you don't have to dilute or mix with anything?

donnan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #26 of 32

I am interested in purchasing an airbrush...can anyone tell me the best one to buy? Also, are there any good instruction videos available for purchase?
Thanks!
Donna in Alabama

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #27 of 32

Huh, I wonder why my post got chopped off. Anyway, Kathy Scott has an ebay store called sweet express or sweet expressions, something like that. This stuff she sells is supposed to be nonclogging for airbrushes.

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #28 of 32

Donna, I have a kopykake airbrush system and I love it. There are a few airbrush videos available (check amazon.com) and an excellent website called howtoairbrush.com with great lessons for the beginner. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #30 of 32

Thanks bobwonderbuns! I will check out the kopykake system. All of the information about the airbrush colors has been great info, especially for "airbrush beginners". I love my new cake buds! Thanks a bunch!
Donna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%