Can You Make Buttercream With A Hand Mixer?

Decorating By grumpyx07 Updated 15 May 2008 , 12:48pm by indydebi

grumpyx07 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 16

I use Wilton's recipe for BC, with a few of my own stuff thrown in. However, I make everything in my KitchenAid. I'm traveling to NC in a few weeks because my sister is having a baby and I want to throw her a surprise baby shower and I'd like to make cupcakes for her. I'm bringing everything I need to pull this off, but there is no way possible to take my KA with me.

Can you make BC using a hand mixer? Will it come out the same? If that is a bad idea do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? I'd really love to make everything myself because she has never seen my stuff. Plus, my nieces are begging me to bake with them. lol

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 16

Can you make the icing at home and take it with you? I believe you can use a hand mixer to whip it up a bit before using it. While I'm sure you "can" make the icing with a hand mixer, I'd sure dread having to! icon_sad.gif

kweenmommy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 16

I don't have a kitchenaid so I always make my BC with a hand mixer.

kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 16

Yep as they said, it can be done but........ don't be surprised if you burn out the moter or strip a gear.
When I was teaching Wilton I always used a hand mixer in class the 1st night just to show people it oculd be doneicon_smile.gif Didn't take long before my (something like) 12 yr old mixer stripped a gearicon_sad.gif
In 8 yrs of teaching I went thru something like 4-5 mixers.

indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 16

kakeladi, when I first started, I got a JCPenny brand stand mixer. It had plastic gears. I went thru 3 of them inside of a year. When I returned the last one (still under warranty) they said they would not honor the warranty anymore. I got a KA for Christmas that year.

jenlg Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 16

My stand up didn't hold up very long either....was given a KA for Christmas last year.

Prior to either of these I used a hand mixer. I agree with indydebi with making it and taking it with if possible.

lilacc01 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 16

I do not have a stand mixer and make sugarshack's recipe with a hand mixer. I have to do it in 2 batches. It is a pain, but it comes out right!

marccrand Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 16

I stripped out 2 motors before buying my KA and never looked back! I always advise people to go ahead and gulp and buy the big mixer instead of wasting money on the hand mixers. You won't be sorry.

However, your case is a little different. You've already got the big mixer but just need a batch or two. If you don't want to make it ahead and transport the icing you can certainly use a hand mixer. It will be a lot more labor intensive and time consuming than you're used to but should be fine for one or two uses.

FYI I've read that the KA handmixer is a lot stronger than pretty much any other brand out there (because it has a DC motor instead of AC). But I think that any brand would hold up for a batch or two, it's not like you'll be using it forever thumbs_up.gif !

adunfag Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 16

I have used a hand mixer to make my BC, and it was fine.

smitakasargod Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 16

I just made a batch with my handheld Braun. My oh my! It was quite a nightmare. It kept getting stuck and stopping. I finally managed to make it and it turned out yummy but believe me...KA here I come!!

grama_j Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 16

Yes , you can....... but I wouldn't make a habit out of it...... I blew up two hand models before hubby stepped in said said "NO MORE", and got me my KA for Christmas a couple of years ago....... ( that is a hint if you are trying to get a KA) icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

grumpyx07 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:39am
post #12 of 16

Wow, I didn't even know anyone replied to my post. I'm not getting email notifications icon_sad.gif

Thank you all for your comments...maybe I'll try to take some already made BC. I'll let you know how it goes.

armywifebryan Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #13 of 16

I have done cakes for a couple of years now...mainly just for friends and family. I have already gone through 3 hand mixers and my current one is on it's last leg!! lol I have 3-4 big cakes coming up within the next couple weeks. Told my DH I REALLY needed a KA so that is what I got for mother's day!!

LanaC Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #14 of 16

I don't have a stand mixer - I only use my hand mixer and my buttercream does just fine. Add your sugar a little bit at a time. I've been using the same old Black and Decker for about five years now.

alisoncooks Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #15 of 16

I use an 8-yr old hand mixer (Sunbeam) for the Wilton's bc all the time (I don't have a stand mixer). I don't know about difference in quality but it tastes fine to me. I also add the sugar a bit at a time. Good luck.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #16 of 16

But I swear ..... once you get a KA, or even a cheaper stand mixer, you'll wonder how in the world you ever managed without one! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%