Can You Make Buttercream With A Hand Mixer?

Decorating By grumpyx07 Updated 15 May 2008 , 12:48pm by indydebi

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 16

I use Wilton's recipe for BC, with a few of my own stuff thrown in. However, I make everything in my KitchenAid. I'm traveling to NC in a few weeks because my sister is having a baby and I want to throw her a surprise baby shower and I'd like to make cupcakes for her. I'm bringing everything I need to pull this off, but there is no way possible to take my KA with me.

Can you make BC using a hand mixer? Will it come out the same? If that is a bad idea do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? I'd really love to make everything myself because she has never seen my stuff. Plus, my nieces are begging me to bake with them. lol

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 16

Can you make the icing at home and take it with you? I believe you can use a hand mixer to whip it up a bit before using it. While I'm sure you "can" make the icing with a hand mixer, I'd sure dread having to! icon_sad.gif

kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 16

I don't have a kitchenaid so I always make my BC with a hand mixer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 16

Yep as they said, it can be done but........ don't be surprised if you burn out the moter or strip a gear.
When I was teaching Wilton I always used a hand mixer in class the 1st night just to show people it oculd be doneicon_smile.gif Didn't take long before my (something like) 12 yr old mixer stripped a gearicon_sad.gif
In 8 yrs of teaching I went thru something like 4-5 mixers.

indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 16

kakeladi, when I first started, I got a JCPenny brand stand mixer. It had plastic gears. I went thru 3 of them inside of a year. When I returned the last one (still under warranty) they said they would not honor the warranty anymore. I got a KA for Christmas that year.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 16

My stand up didn't hold up very long either....was given a KA for Christmas last year.

Prior to either of these I used a hand mixer. I agree with indydebi with making it and taking it with if possible.

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 16

I do not have a stand mixer and make sugarshack's recipe with a hand mixer. I have to do it in 2 batches. It is a pain, but it comes out right!

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 16

I stripped out 2 motors before buying my KA and never looked back! I always advise people to go ahead and gulp and buy the big mixer instead of wasting money on the hand mixers. You won't be sorry.

However, your case is a little different. You've already got the big mixer but just need a batch or two. If you don't want to make it ahead and transport the icing you can certainly use a hand mixer. It will be a lot more labor intensive and time consuming than you're used to but should be fine for one or two uses.

FYI I've read that the KA handmixer is a lot stronger than pretty much any other brand out there (because it has a DC motor instead of AC). But I think that any brand would hold up for a batch or two, it's not like you'll be using it forever thumbs_up.gif !

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 16

I have used a hand mixer to make my BC, and it was fine.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 16

I just made a batch with my handheld Braun. My oh my! It was quite a nightmare. It kept getting stuck and stopping. I finally managed to make it and it turned out yummy but believe me...KA here I come!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 16

Yes , you can....... but I wouldn't make a habit out of it...... I blew up two hand models before hubby stepped in said said "NO MORE", and got me my KA for Christmas a couple of years ago....... ( that is a hint if you are trying to get a KA) icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:39am
post #12 of 16

Wow, I didn't even know anyone replied to my post. I'm not getting email notifications icon_sad.gif

Thank you all for your comments...maybe I'll try to take some already made BC. I'll let you know how it goes.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #13 of 16

I have done cakes for a couple of years now...mainly just for friends and family. I have already gone through 3 hand mixers and my current one is on it's last leg!! lol I have 3-4 big cakes coming up within the next couple weeks. Told my DH I REALLY needed a KA so that is what I got for mother's day!!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #14 of 16

I don't have a stand mixer - I only use my hand mixer and my buttercream does just fine. Add your sugar a little bit at a time. I've been using the same old Black and Decker for about five years now.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #15 of 16

I use an 8-yr old hand mixer (Sunbeam) for the Wilton's bc all the time (I don't have a stand mixer). I don't know about difference in quality but it tastes fine to me. I also add the sugar a bit at a time. Good luck.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #16 of 16

But I swear ..... once you get a KA, or even a cheaper stand mixer, you'll wonder how in the world you ever managed without one! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%