Husbands' 40Th Just Wants Chocolate Icing Swirled On Cake

Decorating By jilld Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm by playingwithsugar

jilld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilld Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 7

So my husbands' 40th is this weekend and of course he says, "I just want a yellow cake with chocolate swirled icing, no fondant, no colored buttercream." He doesn't want the cake lady, as I am sure many of us are called (cake man as appropriate), to spend any time on his cake and actually decorate it. But, its his 40th and all his family is coming, so I need ideas on how to dress up this cake, yet keep it within the frame work of what he's asked for. I think I am going to do a 40 out of chocolate and place that on top, but I would love to hear any ideas you clever cake decorators may have. THANKS!

6 replies
alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

I've seen lots of cool chocolate cakes. What about ganache drizzed over top or those "cigarellos" all around (or even the store-bought type hazelnut sticks). That way he gets simple and you don't spend all day decorating, BUT it is still pretty enough to show to guests icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds like he just wants to revert to plain and simple so I really like your idea of making a 40 to attach. You could always make fondant candles and that can be your color in addition to the 40. This way he gets the plain cake without the fancy stuff to taste but you can simply decorate it. In addition, you can always spice up the cake plate!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

I have a couple of non fussy "man" cakes. icon_smile.gif

In my pics they are the ones that are choc w/ganache and pecans. I also did the 80 and the other number in choc.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 7

I would stick with what he wants. Its his birthday and I am sure your friends and family are well aware of your decorating abilities but considering he specifically asked for no frills, I would give him no frills. Just a really yummy cake with swirled chocolate frosting.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 7

- You could do a basketweave w/chocolate dipped strawberries atop.

- Oh, I have this cake, "Theya's Surprise" (name after my sister) and I have received great praise for it! It's chocolate icing w/crushed peanut butter cups and pecan as a topping. I have a photo in my photos.

- I like the idea of the chocolate 40.

- Or, duh, you can just do the cake in the shape of 40 and stick with the flavor and frosting he wanted.

HTH!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

I would check in the groom's cakes, as many of them are frosted with chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%