I Guess I'll Use A Ruler???

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm by janebrophy

janebrophy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make this cake, and I'm just wondering how to divide a square cake for stringwork?? Is there something "fancy" I can buy to do it, or does it just come down to a ruler, and my crooked eyes?!?
LL

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 5

Take a piece of paper the same length as your cake side. Fold it in half, then half again, and so on, until the number of folds equals the number of points you want on your cake. Unfold the paper and slide it under the cake so it's partially sticking out. Place your ruler on top of each fold and mark the height of your points on the cake.

alisoncooks Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 5

I've never done this but I have seen in craft stores those cake "dividers" that help you get your stringwork even. If you don't have one of those, I assume you just measure? Wilton's has a "garland marker" and also a "cake dividing set" (clear plastic circle with premarked spots.) Both you can look at online:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D6CC-475A-BAC0-58FEDC73887B09DD&fid=3E32BBB9-475A-BAC0-5690829521C373BA

janebrophy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the tips! I think the Wilton divider is only for round cakes, and I'm not sure I could use the garland marker for stringwork? I'm going to practice with the paper, seems like the perfect, economical solution!

janebrophy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips! I think the Wilton divider is only for round cakes, and I'm not sure I could use the garland marker for stringwork? I'm going to practice with the paper, seems like the perfect, economical solution!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%