Wedding Cake Sizes

Business By shaloop Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 12:23am by indydebi

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 13

I've noticed that different ones use different charts for determining serving sizes of wedding cakes. Would you all mind posting what size tiers you'd use for a 100 serving wedding cake. (Or the closest sizes to serve at least 100.) According to Wilton's chart a 6", 9", & 12" would serve 100. I don't do wedding cakes yet, but am thinking about it and just looking for info. Thanks.

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 13

Wilton's charts are the best to go by for figuring size and pricing.
If you use Earlene Moor's you won't make as much money....yes, the serving sizes are slightly larger but in the long run if you have a sample piece of styro to show people the serving size they will understand. Why should you get paid less because they want to serve larger pieces? Let them order a larger cake icon_smile.gif
Your 12, 9, 6 yeilds 86 servings unless they serve the top tier....that;'s another 10.
I usually suggest a 14,10,6 for 116 serves.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 13

Some people use Wilton's chart (which I think yields smaller sizes) and some use earlenescakes.com (I prefer this link). Another thing to keep in mind is if the top tier is being served or saved for the anniversary (don't count as servings).

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with kakeladi. I go by the Wilton charts and find that the cake slices are big enough.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 13

For the Wilton chart, a 6/9/12 = 102 servings, serving the whole thing. Per Wilton, the 6" tier (round) serves 14.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

For the Wilton chart, a 6/9/12 = 102 servings, serving the whole thing. Per Wilton, the 6" tier (round) serves 14.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. The difference in answers is exactly what I'm referring to. As Leah says, According to Wilton a 6", 9", 12" would serve 100 guests. If I was a customer paying YOU to make a wedding cake for me, what size tiers would YOU suggest for 100 guests?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Thanks for everyone's help so far. The difference in answers is exactly what I'm referring to. As Leah says, According to Wilton a 6", 9", 12" would serve 100 guests. If I was a customer paying YOU to make a wedding cake for me, what size tiers would YOU suggest for 100 guests?

I think kakeladi's size suggestion would be perfect. Just remember to charge for 116 servings and not just for 100. Also, decide if you're offering the top tier as a gift for free or charging that as well which will also be included in your cost.

Just something to keep in mind, when calculating your sizings, be sure to keep the size differences equivalent. Wether it be 4" difference between layers or 3" difference between layers.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 13

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules/Forums/files/cake_serving_guide_219.pdf

I use that. I'm from Texas, and "everything's bigger in Texas" so I quote based on the party servings.

I hate it when I got to an expensive restaurant and they charge you out the butt for the tiniest portions, then charge a seperate outrageous fee for the sides. I want my clients to get enough cake and to serve their guests a decent sized portion. I've never cut my own cake at a wedding, but I'd be enbaressed if I cut a paper thin sliver and the guest looked at me like where's my cake.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 13

I prefer Earlene's chart, (and yes, I'm in Texas icon_lol.gif ) and I would do a 6", 10", 14" for 100 guests.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 13

i use wilton's chart, so i would suggest a 6,9,12 to serve 102. i've only had one person think the pieces were too small, so they're ordering 12 servings per table cake even though there are only 8 people at a table. they're still paying for 12 servings, and they are free to cut them larger.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

.... but I'd be enbaressed if I cut a paper thin sliver and the guest looked at me like where's my cake.

This is the perception I am constantly fighting. 1x2x4 is the industry standard ... people hear "one inch" and they think "paper thin". It's not.

For a wedding for 100, I make 14/10/6. I use the wilton wedding chart. I NEVER run out of cake. I *do* stay and cut all (99%) of my cakes and I have people ask for "....a smaller piece, please." These folks have just finished a big dinner ... they are looking for some dessert ... not a 2nd meal.

here's how I cut the cakes to achieve those servings. I actually get about 10% more servings this way: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html Notice the cut pieces of cake on the plates are not "paper thin". Here is another pic of the pieces of cake I cut at a wedding .... 1x2x4: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 13

Debi, Do you charge extra to stay and cut the cake, or is that included in you prices?

Janice

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #13 of 13

I cut it for free under the following conditions:
- They've bought a buffet or salad/sandwich bar from me.
- They bought the cake from me.
- They do the cake-cutting-photo right before they open the buffet line. This is so I can cut the cake immediately after dinner (you know .... for DESSERT???) instead of standing around WAITING for them to FINALLY get that dang pic out of the way. THe longer I stand around, the higher my payroll expense is.

If they get the cake elsewhere, I will cut it for $50 (if they do the cake-cutting-photo right before they open the buffet) or...... for no charge, I will show a family member how to cut the cake. If they don't do the cake cutting fee right away, then I charge $100/hour, 4 hour minimum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%