Need Help With Sizes Please!

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I need your help! I have a cake due Sunday for a surprise 70th birthday for a friend of my mom. Originally it was for about 50 people - they were inviting 63. This is going to be at a restaurant.

I was going to bake tonite after work and do a 6-8-10, which would serve 60 according to wilton party chart. It's fish themed with a topper. I just got a call from her and they have confirmed 65.

So now I need help with sizes - I can't do a 6-9-12 b/c I don't have a 9" pan nor can i get one by this weekend. And I need to use rounds b/c the fondant fish are already made.

Help please! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #2 of 4

since you figured party size, you can cut them just a sliver smaller and you should get 65.

A 6/8/10 wilton wedding sizes will serve 68.

And in my experience, I dont' care how many they have "confirmed", I'm betting they DON'T have 65 people show up.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 4

I noticed you had a 12 inch pan... why do you not cut a 9 inch cake from the 12 inch? Use a plate that is 9 inches; set it on top of the 12 inch cake and cut directly down and around the cake. You will have your 9 inch cake, plus a 3 inch strip to make into cake balls icon_lol.gif This will work, as I have done it many times when I needed a strange size for something.

In fact, it works better if you refrigerate it or freeze it. There will be less crumbling.

Hope that helps!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help! Debi, I thought about that - since it's dinner at a restaurant I might get away with wedding portions, but I won't be there and I'm not doing the cutting. The birthday boy has been sick so it's quite a milestone - the wife told me today that more unexpected family confirmed and it's up to 70!

Lutie, I was afraid to cut a larger cake into a 9" b/c it would be uneven or too crumby! LOL

I ended up baking a 12-8-6. Hopefully it won't look too bad. At least they'll have enough cake (i hope). icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%