Need Help With Floral Wire!

Decorating By JennerRed01 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm by tiptop57

JennerRed01 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing a bridal shower cake this weekend and the bride wanted a cake with 3 flowers sticking out of the cake by wire. I did some searching and it looks like alot of people use floral wire. Is that correct? Do I need to put anything around it to make it safe or can I just put it in the cake? Also, is it better to keep it long so I can put it through the whole cake (3 stacked layers) for leverage? And then do I need to build the flower around the wire so that way it dries with it or is there anyway to attach it afterwards?? Thanks for all your help in advance!

1 reply
tiptop57 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 2

I follow these simple rules from another decoration and another cake thread I belong.

Quote: "Wires are not to be placed in cakes they must always be placed in a food grade posy pick, which has been inserted into the cake. A plastic drinking straw is not acceptable either as the plastic is very thin/brittle plus the fact it has an open end and as such the wire can still come into contact with the cake. Wrapping a stem with florist tape and pushing that into the cake is still classed as a foreign body, a wrapped stem must always be placed in a food grade posy pick.

Placing a lump of sugarpaste on a cake and inserting the wired flowers in this (to create an arrangement) still run the risk of wires being pushed into the cake, if you plan to use this method its best if the lump of sugarpaste is on a small cakeboard or a gum paste plaque (which has dried for several days) so there is no risk of the wires being placed in the cake."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%