Just Want To Vent To Folks Who Understand...

Decorating By DoniB Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm by leah_s

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 10

Last fall, I did the polka dot bridal shower cake that's in my photos. It was for a friend, and she paid me for supplies. (This was before I knew I couldn't do even that!!)

Well, apparently, owning my own business, when I can make it happen, might just work out, because I just got a call from someone at the party who doesn't know me from Adam, but loved the cake. She wants a communion cake for her daughter. For next weekend.

It was so very hard to tell her that I couldn't legally do it for her!!!! I just want to cry!!!! My first non-friends, non-family, never-heard-of-this-person-before cake request... and I can't do it!!!

Okay... done whining now. I return you to your regularly scheduled Friday. Thanks for listening. icon_razz.gif

9 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 10

Well obviously people love your work! I don't know what it entails to become legal in NC but if you think you can pull it off, give it a shot. I'm sure this person would love to use you again in the future once you can legally make her cakes.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 10

Oh MAN!! That's a rough one!

Does your state allow in-home baking? I'm sure you've looked into it, but a lot of people have stated that all you need is some simple paperwork that only costs a few dollars. I'd hate to see you held back over that!!

Good luck!

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 10

Struggling with that myself. I have been making cakes for friends and gotten money for supplies, but now that I know I can't do that I have been giving them as gifts but it is frustrating because they want them for parties that I am not invited to and so wouldn't be bringing a gift or anything. Don't really want to start a business right now so I guess they will just get cakes every once in awhile. At least I know they like my cakes! icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 10

I feel for you! To get a customer like that must feel like such a success -yet so disappointing!

On another note, I'm glad you posted because I've been looking for one of the cakes you did recently and wasn't able to find it 'til I just clicked on your cakes and saw it! It's the one with the scrolls and rosebuds. love it. Thanks!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 10

DoniB,

I checked the forums for the posting of the states which allow/license in-home bakeries and NC is listed. Check out this link: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550.html

I hope this helps!

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

I am having the same delima. Graduation is approaching and peope not related to me are interested in purchasing cakes. I'm in Wisconsin and do not know if they allow in home baking. Does anyone know? Is it hard to get approved?

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 10

My problem is that we have animals in the house. Normally, we'd just make the decision to leave them outside, and it just might come to that. But for right now, we just can't. The dogs are very barky all night if we don't bring them inside, and while all the neighbors have dogs, too, at least ours aren't the ones keeping people up at night. icon_razz.gif but if we didn't have animals in the house, I'd probably be working my fingers to the bone right this minute. (I'd like to think I would be, anyway! LOL) It's apparently very easy in NC, and takes less than $1000 in fees and special equipment (three part sink).

But if I get many more requests like this, I might just have to re-think things and the animals just might have to stay outside.

I had a thought, though... if she's really desperate, I wonder if I could use the church's kitchen and do everything there? Hmmm... if she calls back to beg, I can ask. The church kitchen would already be licensed, especially since it's a Catholic church and they're really big on feeding people. icon_smile.gif

Ah well. thanks for the good thoughts and sympathy, anyhow. icon_razz.gif ONe of these days...

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 10

What about a donation. Are they able to give you a donation for your cakes? icon_smile.gif You wouldn't be selling them. I've baked for people I didn't know. I didn't know you couldn't icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 10

No a donation is no different than a payment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%