Piping Gel, How Do I Use It?

Decorating By lapazlady Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm by lapazlady

lapazlady Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 3

The problem of the design for the Dia De Los Ninos cake resolved itself, the customer brought a pic. But this presented another problem, I have never used piping gel. I have some and it's so thick, how do I use it? Does it need to be thinned? If so, with what, if not, how will I achieve a smooth surface? (This stuff is really thick.) Help, again. Thank you in advance.

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 3

Is the pic a frosting sheet Edible Image?
If so you do not need piping gel. Just place the pic on the freshly iced cake. If the icing has already dried or is fondant, take a damp paper towel and lay it where the pic will go (or very lightly mist/spray the area) then lay the pic on that dampened area.

Piping gel should not be really thick. It may be oldicon_sad.gif If you want to thin it just try taking a spoonful out and thin w/a couple drops of water. I would not do this until ready to use. In other words, don't thin all of it and store it. Thin what you want to use and throw away any leftover. The correct consistency of piping gel is like fresh egg white (maybe just a bit thicker).

lapazlady Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 3

I'll bet it was old the day I bought it. It has always been really thick. I'm going to fill in areas with piping gel (no easy way to get around it) and pitch the leftovers. I'll also buy a new batch of gel, and heave the old. Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%