Rolled Fondant Or Marzipan?

Decorating By Sofinette Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 11:21am by Sofinette

Sofinette Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:35am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!
My name is Sophie and I am Belgian.
I am about to do my very first âAmerican wayâ cake.
A double tiered cake (Totally inexistent back here in Belgium)!

I need your advice for the covering of the cake.

Basically, I will make a âgenoiseâ kind of cake divided in 3 layers, filled with a cream made out of a âcrème patissièreâ mixed with some whipped cream (delicious by the way!) and I will add some freshly cut strawberries.
I will also add some âAmarettoâ to moisture the cake and give it that little thing that makes it just great!
So, I want to cover my cake with sugar paste (rolled fondant) or marzipan.
I donât know which one it is better to use, and I am asking for your advice on this.

Also I just want to make sure I understood correctly, can you confirm that before covering the cake (either with rolled fondant or marzipan) I have to âfrostâ my cake? I do have to apply some of my cream on top of my cake before applying the rolled fondant/marzipan right?

Thank you very much
icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:55am
post #2 of 8

I, personally would never cover a genoise with fondant, I just don't think it's a strong enough cake to cope with the weight. Also, a word of warning from experience - I filled a cake with a creamy strawberry concoction and the strawberries leaked juice behind the fondant and cause it to split and burst, and yes, I had a good covering of buttercream and a dam on that cake first! If you are determined to cover your genoise, then marzipan may be a better choice as it has more to it than just sugar and may cause you less of a headache, plus you can put in in the fridge (and you will have to with the fresh cream/creme patissiere filling), fondant you really shouldn't.

Hope that helps.

Sofinette Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:11am
post #3 of 8

Ok but what kind of cake do you suggest than?
I really want to try the rolled fondant or marzipan cover, but if it as to be another kind of cake it doesn't matter.
But I do want to stick to the kind of cream I was talking before.
Because I made a cake last sunday for my b-day and everyone loved the filling, and actually asked me to add strawberries for the next one...

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:20am
post #4 of 8

Hello, Sophie!

It is nice to see that you came out of hiding and decided to join us! Do you also live in Belgium? I ask because we have many members who are from one country, but live in another.

Thank you for attempting to make an American-style cake. I am flattered that someone from another country is interested in baking in our style.

Here in the US, the standard is to use rolled fondant, with a layer of buttercreme icing underneath to adhere the fondant to the cake. Since this is your first time making an American-style cake, I would suggest working with a Swiss Meringue Buttercream, as it is easier to make than an Italian Meringue Buttercream.

Do you know how to create a dam on a cake? You might need a double dam, depending upon how much creme patisserie you plan to use between the layers. Here is a link which describes the technique, and is illustrated. A double dam would be one dam stacked on top of another. If you are going to use a double dam, start the line a bit farther in on the cake.

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_frostproblems.htm

I agree with the comment above about the fresh strawberries. First, if I were using cut strawberries, I would not brush the amaretto on the genoise. Instead, I would soak the strawberries in the amaretto, in the refrigerator, for about an hour. I would not cut them into large pieces, but rather into thick slices (about 1/4 to 1/3 cm each), then lay the soaked strawberry slices directly on the genoise, so any juice which leaks would be soaked up by the sponge.

Then, I would apply the creme patisserie with a piping bag and a round tip, to make sure that I get the creme in the crevices between the strawberry slices, therefore sealing them to the genoise. Smooth the top of the creme patisserie with a small spatula, then continue stacking the cake, repeating the process between the other two layers.

Refrigerate the filled and frosted genoise for at least 30 minutes before applying the rolled fondant, and you should not have any problems.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sofinette Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:35am
post #5 of 8

Hello there and thank you very much for the advice!

Well I am Belgian, living in Belgium.

But I did live in the states for about 13 months, 10 years ago.
It was in Frankin, Detroit MI, and it was great!

I am totally bored of the Belgian cakes, basically you have two kinds.
One kind of cake, with either buttercream (cooked buttercream) or whipped cream and fruit!
When I got married 4 years ago, I asked the "boulanger" to do wy wedding cake the american way (3 tierd cake with white icing), and first he didn't not understand what I was talking about and finally made it, and it was horrible, and it tasted really bad... All the guests were looking at me, with those kind of eyes.... icon_eek.gif

So anyway I want to try my first american way cake but I don't really know where to start.
I just know that I want to cover it with rolled fondant.

What simply do you guy put in your cakes, just buttercream?
And what cake recipe do you use, if you want to cover the cake?

Thanks a million for your help.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #6 of 8

Sofinette - let me know what flavour of cake you want and I'll send you a recipe. I have given a few of my recipes to Dutch decorators on this board who are also used to the kinds of cakes you have in Belgium, and they have all loved them!

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:02am
post #7 of 8

No, we also use different fillings -

the buttercream icing, either plain or flavored,
ganache,
creme patisserie,
sliced fruit (again, you have to watch for the leaking)

To me, all recipes are created according to the ingredients available.

I have used genoise with rolled fondant in the past, and several famous American bakers/cake decorators use it with rolled fondant, on a regular basis. I've seen genoise layers as thin as 1.5 cm, stacked 5 layers high, with 4 layers of filling in between, which were covered with fondant. The bakery which did that cake uses a thin layer of fondant, about 1/8 inch thick (which would be about 3 mm). The secret to doing this was already revealed to you - refrigerate well before covering.

As far as recipes go, some of us use boxed cake mixes, and others bake from scratch. I am one of those people who use both. I use boxed mixes to practice my piping techniques, but for special occasions, it is scratch baking for me all the way. Allow me to direct you to a great website. If you go to

www.allrecipes.com

and look up the type or flavor of cake you wish to make, you can use their online converter to change the recipe from US to metric measurements.

So, take a tour through the website, pick out a couple of flavors you would like to try, and give them a whirl.

And send me chocolate!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sofinette Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:21am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Sofinette - let me know what flavour of cake you want and I'll send you a recipe. I have given a few of my recipes to Dutch decorators on this board who are also used to the kinds of cakes you have in Belgium, and they have all loved them!

Thanks bonjovibabe...
I'd say, normal yellow cake, or white cake, or vanilla cake...
You know back here in belgium an normal cake is made out of butter, whole eggs, sucre and flour...

Theresa, thant you soo much, you are very nice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%