Doug, This Question Is For You!

Decorating By Amia Updated 28 May 2008 , 4:16am by 7yyrt

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #31 of 41

Yep, Monday as in 5 days from now! But, I'm going to start on the awnings tonight just to make sure they have enough time to dry.

Amia Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:43am
post #32 of 41

It's almost done! I'll have pics tomorrow!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:03am
post #33 of 41

I been expecting the photos!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Amia Posted 27 May 2008 , 6:11am
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I been expecting the photos!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well it's nothing compared to your cakes, but for my skill level I'm pretty proud of it. I just have to pipe the RI frames and luster dust the thing to death and it will be all done!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:18am
post #35 of 41

Waiting!! Waiting!!

Can't hold my breath for much longer!!! icon_wink.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #36 of 41

the anticipation is KILLING me!!!!!
Paula

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #37 of 41

Please please please...where's the pic?????????

Amia Posted 27 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #38 of 41

Okay guys, we finished! Now before you judge this cake, just know that my "helper" is a 20 yr old college student who referred to my tips as "metal caps." He did a lot of the work though!

This cake was easy in some ways and hard in others. It was definitely an educational experience and I would have done things a little differently were I crazy enough to do this again! The cake itself is vanilla (I used butterflywings recipe, yum! THANK YOU!) and it was made from an 8" square, 8" round, and two 6" rounds. The awning/wing things were gumpaste. Fortunately he's an architecture major and I'm an interior design major so we had all the right tools to make the templates based on the one Doug drew up.

We found a picture of the actual model made for the theater and decided to base our design more on that (it looked easier to copy icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif). I can see all the flaws (and I've never worked with RI before so that didn't turn out as planned...), but we're pretty happy with the end result.

Biggest thanks goes to Doug! I'm sending you the biggest e-hug known to man! icon_wink.gif

The final pic is in my gallery (what can I say, I want the gallery views icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif)!
LL
LL
LL

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #39 of 41

yay!! its done! I left a comment in the gallery -- the final cake looks AWESOME!! I'm glad the recipe worked out for you, but it's not mine. I took the Firm Chocolate Cake recipe found here on the site and just adapted it for the flavors I want (sorry, I can't remember who posted the firm choc. recipe). But it does make a really nice, moist, firm, dense cake - I especially like using French Vanilla cake & French Vanilla pudding mix - that has become my most requested flavor and even I like it best (and I'm a TOTAL chocoholic!)

Again, it LOOKS AWESOME you should be very proud of yourself.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #40 of 41

Excellent job!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 May 2008 , 4:16am
post #41 of 41

Whoa, MOMMA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%