What Am I Doing Wrong?! Problems With Gumpaste Bows!!

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 4:18am by Cakepro

sugarMomma Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #1 of 26

I have made the loopy bows before, using a broom handle to loop them over, but the gumpaste would elongate as it hung and I wanted rounder loops.
I asked for advice awhile back and some of you suggested drying the loops on their side, so I tried that but the loops kinda fall inward and got lumpy looking.

Another decorator I met made such nice, thin realistic loops and said she got them that way with a pasta roller. So I got a clay roller and I can roll the gumpaste thin, but its not smooth and even flimsier for problems above. icon_cry.gif

Help!! I want to make a really nice one for my friends wedding cake!
How do you get nice round, thin, consistent bow loops?
I use the CK brand gumpaste mix. if that makes a difference.

25 replies
akgirl10 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:21am
post #2 of 26

I've read that some people use crumpled tissue inside their loops to make them rounder. I have hung my loops on a brooom to dry a bit, then stood them on their sides to dry the rest of the way.

tonedna Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:27am
post #3 of 26

I honestly dont like Ck gumpaste...but thats me ..I like Nicholas lodge.. When I do my bows I take a piece of wax paper and roll it the size that i want the loop to be and before i close the loop i put it inside..Hope this helps!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mjballinger Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:29am
post #4 of 26

I use cotton balls for small loops and cotton stuffing (like to make stuffed animals) for larger ones.

gucci Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:43am
post #5 of 26

The last time I made gumpast bows, I first mixed the gumpaste with fondant. I'd say about 75% fondant/25% gumpaste. Then I stuffed them with Viva paper towels before closing them. I let them dry on their sides for a few hours, and they turned out great. Good luck!

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #6 of 26

I always use straight gp.. I roll thin.. attach the ends.. turn on its side... only time I have had problems is when it's humid outside.. I use satin ice gp but I am going to try Nic lodges recipe now...

another thing you could do is... cut your strips for your loops.. let dry for like a minute.. take gum glue attach the ends together and see if they sit on their side... I also started attaching wire to the ends so I no longer need chocolate melts or RI to put the loops together.. Only do that when they want to keep the bow ...

beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #7 of 26

I like fondant with tylose - haven't tried Nic Lodge's recipe yet, but it's on my To Do list... I cut the strips and let them sit a minute before putting on a dowel. If you add alot of color, the gp will be much softer and you may have to wait an extra minute or two.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #8 of 26

Did you knead the gumpaste well after you mixed it? And did you allow it to cure overnight before using it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #9 of 26

I only use CK gumpaste (the dry mix) I've found it really easy to get too much water in it. If it is soft at all, and it usually is, I knead in lots of cornstarch until it is very, very dry. Then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. then roll thru a pasta machine and form. Never once had it stretch.

Amy729 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #10 of 26

I use the Nicholas Lodge recipe also. I use only gumpaste, no fondant.
After I cut into strips, I lay it over a large dowel rod that I bought at Home Depot. It is larger round than the broomstick handle so that the have more of a rounded appearance.

You can see my bows in my pics.

Hope that helps!

poshcakedesigns Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 26

I use CK and am pretty happy with it. Have found you do need to let it sit over night before I use it.

(Amy729 thanks for the tip about the rod at HD) I'll have to make a trip and get one.

sugarMomma Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 26

wgoat--how do you make gum glue and how do you attach wires to the end?

beachcakes--what kind of gumpaste do you use that has tylose if not Nicholas Lodges? I bought some tylose yesterday so I could try his recipe.

I did let the CK cure overnight and then some, maybe it's still too soft. It definitely very humid here, been raining forever in Virginia Beach....

Thank all of you for your responses!! thumbs_up.gif

It will be my first all fondant covered tiered cake and I've never covered anything as large a a 14" square, as well as my first sugar beer bottle cake for the grooms cake. And since it is for a friend who's wedding I'm attending I want it to be perfect!
Especially since we both worked banquets and see other peoples' wedding cakes on a weekly basis.

beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 26

Well, I just knead about 1 tsp. of tylose with about a pound of commercial fondant (I just eyeball it) and it makes gumpaste. Works great for me, but it's not as hot here as VA. I'm about 1/2 mi from the Atlantic as the crow flies, and there's alot of moisture in the air.

crisc23 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 26

I make them frequently and always use fondant with some tylose added. I have big wooden dowls that I hang them on. I turn my kitchen chairs back to back, lay my dowls across the chairs and hang my fondant loops over the dowls.

I run my fondant thru the pasta machine to a setting of 3 or 4 depending on how I want the bow to look. Then I cut in strips and place over the dowls. I "glue" the ends together with water.

I have a little picture collage I'll post that shows my dowls over the backs of chairs with loops hanging.
LL

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 26

Now correct me if I am wrong.. because I do this by eye.. but isn't the gumglue 1/8 of a teaspoon to 3 TBS ? I don't use much of the tylose.. doesn't take much.. and watch it.. cause I had set my brush down (that I use especially to glue things) on my counter.. and forgot about it.. it was glued to the counter LOL...

beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 26

just wanted to show what DH made me to dry loops - they can't be easily knocked over. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-562186-pvc.html

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 26

Your sooo lucky beachcakes!!! Maybe one day DH won't work so many hours and he can come up with something like that for me .. * sigh *

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 6:33am
post #18 of 26

Thanks everybody for your replies, i have a lot of good tips to try.
I'm making the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe now but am having a little problem with grit. thumbsdown.gif

Hopefully it will be gone after resting tonight.

tonedna Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Thanks everybody for your replies, i have a lot of good tips to try.
I'm making the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe now but am having a little problem with grit. thumbsdown.gif

Hopefully it will be gone after resting tonight.

Usually you have to let it rest overnight. Just make sure that sugar was sifted and put some crisco in your hands!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:53pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:

I'm making the Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe now but am having a little problem with grit. thumbsdown.gif.

I know exactly what you're talking about and yes, it will be gone. icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #21 of 26

I just want to say thanks to everyone I will be making my first gift box cake this coming weekend and I happened to get on today to see if I could find some info and tips on making a bow and low and behold you guys were here Thank you! Thank You! I love all the advice and tips

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 26

I too didn't like the CK mix.. or the Wilton mix.. I make Nic Lodge's gumpaste and it is wonderful stuff. That grit will be gone tomorrow.. no worries unless you didn't sift your sugar.

tonedna Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 26

I know JKalman..The ck paste to me feels like it doesnt have a lot of elasticity I even prefer Wilton over it!

FromScratch Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #24 of 26

I agree with you Edna.. the CK mix is just not stretchy enough.. it doesn't thin or ruffle well either.

sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #25 of 26

Yay! The grit did disappear (but I will be sure to sift next time) and I love this gumpaste.

It is so much easier to work with, I wish I had found it earlier.
Thanks again to all of you for the help!

Gotta go make more ribbon strips!

Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #26 of 26
Quote:

Yay! The grit did disappear (but I will be sure to sift next time) and I love this gumpaste.

It is so much easier to work with, I wish I had found it earlier.
Thanks again to all of you for the help!

Gotta go make more ribbon strips!

I don't sift and I haven't had a batch fail yet! icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun!! Nick's gumpaste recipe is awesome.

~ Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%