Sideswipe Mixer Attatchment?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 12:08pm by disneynutbsv

joy5678 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 19

I saw a demo of a mixer attatchment called the Sideswipe. It looked like it worked pretty good at getting mix off the side of the bowl so that it would not have to be scraped down. Has anyone used one of these? If you have can you share how well it works? I'm thinking of getting one but would like some input first. Thanks

18 replies
tiggy2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 19

I'm waiting for them to get the one for the 6 qt. mixer so I can order one.

joy5678 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 19

I sure would like to hear from those of you who are "in the know" regarding this side swipe. I'm really leary about buying gadgets that I know nothing about. If you have used one, give me a holler and let me know what cha think. Thanks so much!

MOBOGAL Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 19

Hi icon_smile.gif

I have this (for the 5qt Artisan KitchenAid), and I've used it many times. I'd have to rate it thumbs up, but it does have a few cons. Here's my summary:

Pros: mixes things FAST and really well, no more ingredients stuck to the side or bottom of the bowl, easy clean up. Overall, I'd say it performs just as advertised and definitely reduces mixing time/speed

Cons: it makes my mixer head "bounce" especially at high speed (I did call customer service about this, they say the bounce isn't harmful, and some mixers are more prone to it than others), batter clings to the fins and does take a few more minutes to scrape off, but the blades are nonstick, so it's no biggie

Hope that helps a little! If you have other questions, I can try to answer!

leily Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #5 of 19

I have this and agree with most of MOBOGAL's review.

I had problems at first with my head moving up and down, but I turned the adjustment screw out a little to raise the head and it works great.

The only part I don't like is it is not as easy to clean the stuff off of the paddle as the original Kitchen Aid one, but for the most part I like it. I still use the Original and the Swiper about 50/50 depending on what I am making.

andpotts Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 19

I'm happy to read reviews from CC's who have used this, I have one on order and I'm looking forward to trying it out! Here's a link to the other post where we were talking about it icon_smile.gif

joy5678 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #7 of 19

Hey, thanks so much. Sounds like I'm gonna have to get one, or better yet put it on my wish list for Mothers day!! I get irritated having to scrape the sides of the bowl & this just might be the answer I'm looking for. Your comments are soooo appreciated.

amyfj1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #8 of 19

On their website they say, "This model does NOT fit bowl-lift mixers, which use a crank-type lever to raise and lower the bowl." Does anyone know why it can't be used with this type of mixer? I really want one but have the crank-type mixer.

joy5678 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 19

I contacted the company to purchase one but found out that they did not make one to "fit" the lift mixer. I was really disappointed because that is what I have. They were in the process of putting one on the market but I have not checked back to see if it is out yet. That's about all I can tell you for now.

joy5678 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:24am
post #10 of 19

Cur icon_confused.gif Just checked the web sit again and they still do not have a blade to fit the lift bowls yet! icon_cry.gif Guess we'll just have to keepa scrapping for now. icon_mad.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:49am
post #11 of 19

Thanks, Joyce. I've never even heard of this before now. Learn something new every day on CC much to the dismay of my poor hubby's wallet!

pamconn Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #12 of 19

I just used the Beater Blade. It's from a different company and I believe that they make one for both the tilt head and the bowl lift models.

I love it! I liked the way this one worked on the demo as oppessed to the sideswipe demo.

psanders76 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:46am
post #13 of 19

I just checked AMAZON and I found a beater blade for the 5-Quart KitchenAid Bowl Lift Mixers . Here is the link:

joy5678 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:12am
post #14 of 19

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Beater Blade, Here I come! DH Wallet---Here I go icon_wink.gif Luv that man! Just keep feeding him cake! Thank you so much for the info. I just hate scraping down & can't wait to get this blade. You all are

leily Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #15 of 19

Now I kinda wish I would have seen the beater blade first... I like the solid side which would be quicker to clean.... maybe the side swipe will go to my aunt since she doesn't use her mixer as much but would appreciate it.

KASCARLETT Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #16 of 19

After seeing this thread earlier, I ordered a SideSwipe. I sent it back. I was not thrilled with it. I'm not downing it because it is a GREAT concept. It just wasn't for me. Oh well, I tried!

disneynutbsv Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #17 of 19

I have the beater bladeicon_smile.gif I used it last night and it worked awesome! I made icing Sugarshacks way (just used my recipe for icing) and it was great!! No air, icing is a smooth as can be and I NEVER scraped the bowl on my own!

thephotolady Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #18 of 19

what do you mean you made the icing the sugarshack way but with your own recipe... what part was her way?

disneynutbsv Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:08pm
post #19 of 19

Where you are filling it all the way to the top, making either a double recipe or triple recipe. Once you get it filled all the way to the top, the attachment should be covered in the bowl so no air can get in. My icing is pretty close to hers w/o the wedding bouquet, it just has butter in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%