Doctoring Icing?

Baking By christidarling Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm by christidarling

christidarling Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 7

Is there any way to doctor up store bought Wilton icing?

6 replies
bonniebakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 7

I've never tried it, but I would think that you could add flavorings to it, just like a home-made buttercream icing....

christidarling Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for responding! BTW I love your cakes & cookies!

kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 7

Store bought, canned icing is usually very thin. You might want to add a bit more powdered sugar and flavoring.
Is there a reason you are using it? There are many great recipes on this site that are easy to make.

thedessertdiva Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 7

WAY back in the day, before I knew about making your own tasty frostings, this is what I did. I would by the canned cr@p and then put it into my mixer, whip up until soft and smooth and add extracts, or melted chocolate chips to make it taste fresh.

I know Wiltons canned stuff is like the paste you used to get in the jars in primary school...hahaha, so whip it good!

kaecakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 7

The thing with Wiltons can icing is the more you stir it the softer it gets. So if you need a medium or stiff considency you would need to add powder sugar. Once you add the powder sugar you can add flavorings or cocoa, peanutbutter, or anything else you might want.

christidarling Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the tips. The reason for my question is I am making a baby shower cake for Sunday & I am short on time. I know I can get a large container of Wiltons icing to color & flavor. Also, I only have a hand mixer & it is harder & more time consuming to make large batches of some icing. I have tried several of the recipes but have not yet found THE ONE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%