Confused About Wasc Cake Ingredients!!

Decorating By Shola Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm by kakeladi

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #61 of 74

MacsMom - I have very important questions for you (or anyone that has made this):
1. What AP flour are you using? (bleached or unbleached)

2. What type of cocoa powder? (dutch processed containing alkali or nonalkalized also called natural)

3. For the choc version (whole recipe of course)...what size instant pudding mix are you using (3.9 oz small or the 5.9 oz large one)?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:08am
post #62 of 74

I just used (yesterday) the dark chocolate cocoa by Hersheys yesterday and it made a HUGE difference wrightway!!

Small pudding is what I used icon_smile.gif

as far as the flour.. I just used the AP that I had on hand.. the reg. which ever one that is LOL

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #63 of 74

I don't want to confuse anyone, but I just saw a post on "the ORIGINAL WASC" and tried it yesterday! This is the original recipe which only makes 1/2 the amount. It's also delicious. I've tried them both.
NOTE: kakeladi omitted salt from the recipe. So just add this as she said when she typed it she forgot it. Below is her recipe:

O.k. everybody......
I was the original poster of this recipe yrs ago on the 'net.
Rebecca S. took my recipe, tweaked it to her needs, enlarging it.

Here is the *ORIGINAL* WASC recipe:

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #64 of 74

<...is yours the stuff you can mix water with and get that sort of solid/liquid combination, like you can squeeze it in your hand but its runny when you leave it??!...>

YES icon_smile.gif

My final post for awhile....I'm off traveling for the next 3-4 weeks. May have internet connections from time to time, not sure.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

<...is yours the stuff you can mix water with and get that sort of solid/liquid combination, like you can squeeze it in your hand but its runny when you leave it??!...>

YES icon_smile.gif

My final post for awhile....I'm off traveling for the next 3-4 weeks. May have internet connections from time to time, not sure.

Lol! Great thanks icon_smile.gif
Have a good time away!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #66 of 74

macamom and wgoat ~
why do you need to add the pudding mix? Is this only for mixes that don't have it? I only use DH mix. Never looked at the box!
Either of the WASC recipes don't use pudding mix, so that's why I'm questioning it.

Thank you! I love the WASC recipes, so I DEFINATELY want to try the chocolate!!

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Pan Grease

1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix it in your mixer, and use to coat your pans. Just that mixture... No flouring.

If you have a flower nail, grease it and use it in the pan to transfer heat to the middle of the pan (same idea as a heating core). If you have baking strips, wet, and use them around your pans. If not, you can take an old towel, cut it into strips, soak them in water, wring out slightly, and using pins wrap them around your already greased pan. This help stop the doming on the cake, makes it more even. Then add the batter to your pans.

To trim your cake use a sharp knife and the top edge of your cake as a guide. Glad you liked the cake....

Pat

Hi Pat! I've just used your pan grease recipe plus your tea towel and flower nail tip for my 'non-practice' WASC cakes and wanted to say the pan grease recipe is excellent, cakes just popped right out the pan! The towel and nail defo helped with a more even rise, so a big Thank You! thumbs_up.gif

Does anyone know why cakes (well my cakes!) crack and get huge gullys and ravines on top?! Not a prob this time but if I don't want to cover a cake is this preventable?? icon_confused.gif

holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #68 of 74

I have been wanting to try this recipe! Thank you everyone for all the helpful tips!

wrightway777 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #69 of 74

Shola - heres some troubleshooting tips for your problem:
Some common problems and their causes are:

DOMED or CRACKED SURFACE and/or TUNNELS -
- batter over mixed
- wrong type of flour or too much
- too little baking powder/soda or sugar
- oven temperature too hot

CAKE SINKS IN THE CENTER -
- batter over mixed
- too much fat and/or sugar or leavening
- not enough liquid
- oven temperature too low

the above was found at this link (look at it for other great tips concerning your difficulty):
http://www.joyofbaking.com/ButterCakeTroubleshooting.html

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #70 of 74

YOu know I appreciate that last post about what could of gone wrong... My last few cakes have sunk... I don't beat to long, not too much fat or sugar and my oven temp is fine... Sooo.. looks like 325 is a little too low for my cakes.. maybe bump up to like 340. icon_smile.gif

Thank you

wrightway777 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #71 of 74

wgoat5 - Have you tried putting in an oven thermometer to see if your oven truly gets up to the temperature you think it does? I check mine from time to time just to be sure. If not, they are cheap and you can get them just about anywhere.

Avaie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Avaie Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:33am
post #72 of 74

I'm eager to try this WASC recipe but I'm wondering if I should make any adjustments for high altitude?? I like in Denver, CO... so you know, 5,280 feet above sea level... Any suggestions?!?!

icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #73 of 74

yes Wright I have.. in fact I have 2 .. and had my oven man to come and take a gander.. nothing is wrong they say icon_sad.gif .. who knows..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #74 of 74

<...make any adjustments for high altitude?? I like in Denver, CO... so you know, 5,280 feet....?

I haven't tried this recipe at that elevation. I did use it at about 3,500 often. I also have baked a straight cake mix at 8,500 and had no trouble with either. At the higher elevation I had to add extra water (1/2 cup I think), but no other changes.
At high elevations the biggest problem is the cakes tend to dry out *fast!*. You need to get it covered well as quickly as possible. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%