Confused About Wasc Cake Ingredients!!

Decorating By Shola Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm by kakeladi

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #31 of 74

It is not a really strong almond flavor, I think the pineapple would go nicely.
I also want to know about the chocolate. I don't like making chocolate cake because I find they never turn out "special", would love to know how to adapt this!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

My ?? about the WASC..

I have made this a million times.. but come to find out I had been making the chocolate version WRONG!!!!!

I mean I have raves about the chocolate version BUT.. I'd like to try it the right way..

Just how do you sub. the white cake for the chocolate version? Just the chocolate cake mix and still use the vanilla extract? I have been using the almond with this.. people tell me it tastes like cherries are in the cake.. which I guess they don't mind BUT... I'd like to know exactly how to convert the white version to the chocoalte.. Thanks icon_smile.gif

The recipe is almost the same. I have to make 1/2 batches, as my mixer isn't big enough, so for one chocolate cake mix, I use 1C flour (less 4 Tbsp), 4 Tbsp (heaping icon_lol.gif ) Cocoa Powder, 1C sugar, 1 C Sour Cream, 3 whole eggs, 1/3 C cold, brewed coffee, 2 tsp vanilla. I LOVE chocolate!!!! The extra cocoa powder helps keep a good chocolate flavor and the coffee helps enhance it as well. I haven't had any complaints about this version of the recipe ... in fact, it's what got me started doing this on the side. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #33 of 74

Dawn you can omit the almond and just use all vanilla or whatever flavor icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:34am
post #34 of 74

I just thought that it might mess with the fabulosity of the flavor if I omitted the almond.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:36am
post #35 of 74

I am so happy I checked out this forum. I am new and wanted to know all about WASC...so thank you everyone who asked questions and to everyone who supplied answers and suggestions. I LOVE this site!!!!!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #36 of 74

Noma'am I have clients that don't like almond so I just sub. butavan or vanilla or whatever icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #37 of 74

I'm curious...how does the butavan taste?

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #38 of 74

I just made this recipe for a wedding cake. As said before, the top defiantly is sticky. I hope I get raves about this cake like I see on here. icon_biggrin.gif
First time making it, I am normally a "made from scratch" girl, but my vanilla cake has been shrinking lately.... thumbsdown.gif

The cake came out flat as can be, no dome....no need to level~ thumbs_up.gif . Easy cake to make and to bake, quick too.

just my 2 cents

Jessica

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #39 of 74

SMoore I just seen your post! Thank you soo much for the answer icon_smile.gif

MsDawn it tastes like a butter vanilla emulsion icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #40 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I also have a question. I've never made the WASC Cake before. I have a bride requesting the WASC cake with pineapple curd filling. Will these two flavors go well together? Is it a really strong almond flavor?

I have made the WASC cake with this pineapple filling http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-735-3-Pineapple-Filling.html

multiple times and it is GREAT. If they are set on the pineapple filling, but not as much on the wasc, try it with coconut cake, it's like eating a pina colada!

Misdawn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:10am
post #41 of 74

The bride doesn't like coconut. Her future MIL is paying for it and she is who I'm communicating with. She wanted Italian Creme Cake, but the bride said no because of the coconut.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #42 of 74

Hummingbird cake icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #43 of 74

Here's the recipe if you are interested

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preparation
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #44 of 74

My understanding for the Choco. version is make it all the same with the exception of the following: Substitute Chocolate (I use devils food or german choco depending which I have on hand). Instead of 8 egg whites use 6 whole eggs, now I've made this very mistake and have to repeat it to my self when I am halving the recipe - if your only doing half make sure to only use 3 whole eggs...lol

I use the almond extract with the chocolate and it gives it a wonderful taste - not really almond tasting once it's cooked but gives it the added kick. Everyone raves when I make the choco this way.

I've done the WASC with the pineapple curd recipe found in the cake mix doctor - very easy (i've got some very complex curd recipes!) it was a wonderful combination.

I have also found it works with Pilsbury or Betty Crocker - keep in mind though, those mixes already have the pudding in them so no need to add more! If you use BC, sift it first otherwise it's lumpy!!!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:23am
post #45 of 74

Alicia don't you find thought hat BC doesn't make enough batter? I have noticed that when I have used it

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:15am
post #46 of 74

Just to add this question in if thats ok!

I have gumtex Yay! icon_biggrin.gif Now what do I do with it?!!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Can I mix it with the fondant or do I have to make it up straight?

How long in advance should I make my decs on wire?

If I colour fondant can i keep it wrapped at room temp (quite hot here) and use it the next day on the cake? Just don't wanna have to do the whole thing in one go!

Forgot to add I also have a packet of Wilton Gum Paste too, would that be easier to use?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:07am
post #47 of 74

Shole i suggest you post another thread with your new questions that way more people can see it. icon_smile.gif good luck on the cake.

i really should try this WASC cake.

Shola Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #48 of 74

Ok Back to WASC cake!

I have just made one and OMG YUM! icon_razz.gif

But it did bake very unevenly and I had a problem with removing my grease proof paper off the bottom, the edges of the paper baked into the cake and I had to remove the whole corner/edge bit to get it out!

I was so worried at first becuase the batter was soooooooo runny and I thought 'oh this is wrong!' and half heartedly put it in the oven, BUT it came out great!

Q's!
What's the best way to trim the sides of a cake? (prepare for fondant)

Can I leave out the paper and just grease+flour the pan? If not how do I stop my paper baking into the cake?

Misdawn Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #49 of 74

I'd like to know too. I don't like lining my pans with parchment for that very reason. I'd be interested in knowing if just using Bake Release would work.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #50 of 74

Pan Grease

1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix it in your mixer, and use to coat your pans. Just that mixture... No flouring.

If you have a flower nail, grease it and use it in the pan to transfer heat to the middle of the pan (same idea as a heating core). If you have baking strips, wet, and use them around your pans. If not, you can take an old towel, cut it into strips, soak them in water, wring out slightly, and using pins wrap them around your already greased pan. This help stop the doming on the cake, makes it more even. Then add the batter to your pans.

To trim your cake use a sharp knife and the top edge of your cake as a guide. Glad you liked the cake....

Pat

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #51 of 74

Chocolate version (whole recipe):

BC dark chocolate mix is the best
Substitute 2/3 c of flour with 2/3 cocoa powder
add 1 pkg choc pudding mix
Use coffee instead of water

It's DELICIOUS!! This is the only chocolate cake I make anymore.

GUMTEX
Mix a little with fondant, let decor dry overnight. It works okay, but I prefer to mix pre-made gumpaste with fondant.

Fondant can be left out, wrapped, for 3 months (some will say up to 6 months). To re-use, warm for a few secs on micro and knead.

Fondant CAN be frozen, too--I do it all the time. It thaws in just a of couple hours on the counter.

One more tip: If you color it too dark, you can add Wilton's white (I think Americolor has it, too) to lighten it up. I recently turned hot pink into baby pink.

Shola Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #52 of 74

Great info guys thanks! thumbs_up.gif

I will be whizzing up some pan grease mix and chopping up a teatowel!

So should I just make a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant? icon_confused.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #53 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

It makes approx. 14 cups of batter, and maybe just a tad more............JoannB taught me this!

Not that it's really important to anyone except me, I made a mistake! icon_redface.gif

I actually learned this bit of info from JanH! Sorry JanH, I'm a dork!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:33pm
post #54 of 74

I just made this recipe MacsMom and its SOOO GOOD.. icon_smile.gif

Thank you >... I can't believe I had been doing it wrong all this time!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #55 of 74

<...Pan Grease
1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix it in your mixer, and use to coat your pans. Just that mixture... No flouring... >

This is good but.......
For those who live in very high humidity places (Thailand) add an equal amount of cornstarch.
This will make a *ton* of pan grease icon_smile.gif You can use only 1/2 or even 1/4 cup of each ingredient. You whip the devil out of it - it will become like whipped cream, light and fluffy. I perfer to keep it stored in the frig so it does not seperate as quickly.
I got a big, fat, round pastry brush that I keep just for greasing my pans icon_smile.gif Brush it on liberally. If you see any shiney spot it hasn't gotten brushed - go over it.

One last point re using wet towel strips: They are wrapped around the *outside* of the pan icon_smile.gif
I say this lovingly as I have had students who tried to put them inside, then pour batter in! LOL!

Shola Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #56 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

For those who live in very high humidity places (Thailand) add an equal amount of cornstarch.

Hmmm, Can I use corn flour instead? icon_confused.gif

Quote:

They are wrapped around the *outside* of the pan
I say this lovingly as I have had students who tried to put them inside, then pour batter in! LOL!

Mmmm yummy teatowel cake! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #57 of 74

I'm not sure if cornflour is the same as cornstarch.
What I am refering to is a very pure white, very fine powder that is used for thickening in things like gravy. I think it's the same but not sure icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #58 of 74

Macsmom - how much gumtex would you mix to a golf ball size piece of fondant (I'm trying to visualize what a "little" would be)?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #59 of 74

Heres some light that I copied on the net on the cornstarch vs corn flour question (thought first part was funny):

corn starch is the light fine white powderey stuff used to thicken gravies and powder baby behinds...

corn flour is the yellowish finer than cornmeal stuff used to make masa for tamales or corn tortillas...would not put on a babies behinds.

corn starch and arrow root can be interchanged in a recipe.

Corn flour (masa harina) is made from dried corn which has been slaked(soaked in lime water). Masa is used for making corn tortillas as well as tamales, empanadas, etc.

Corn starch is a fine powdery flour made frrom the endosperm of corn kernals. Corn starch is used as a thickener for sauces, puddings, soups, etc.

Shola Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #60 of 74
Quote:

I'm not sure if cornflour is the same as cornstarch.
What I am refering to is a very pure white, very fine powder that is used for thickening in things like gravy. I think it's the same but not sure icon_smile.gif

I just Googled it and got conflicting info, some say it's the same stuff others not but the way you describe it is exactly how i use corn flour for thickening sauces and gravy, is yours the stuff you can mix water with and get that sort of solid/liquid combination, like you can squeeze it in your hand but its runny when you leave it??! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%