Fbct - Step 6 To 8 (Need Explaination)

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:52am by Bluesea

Bluesea Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #1 of 17

Hello To All,

This is my 1st post and I am newbie to baking. Am so glad that I found this site â it ROCKS. Have been reading a lot on the BCT and just need some explanation on Step 6 & 7.

Step 6 says: (âContinue with your colors thinking about layers as you goâ) â What does thinking about layers as you go mean?

Step 7 says: (âWhen you have finished coloring in your graphic, smooth the back while gently pushing without blending your colors underneathâ) â This is where I am stuck.
· Am I right to say that after I have finished coloring the image, I use a spatula to smooth the back (I will not spoil the coloring of the image right?)

Step 8 says: (âAnything you have on the edges will show on your cake. Using the same color icing you use to ice the cake with, edge the transferâ) â Please explain this step to me â am a little confused.

Would really appreciate help on this.

Thanking everyone in advance.

16 replies
maurerba Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 17

Welcome to CC this is a great place to learn! I have made several FBCT and I LOVE them! If you look at my pictures you can see some examples.
Step 6: I have always outlined everything in Black first so layers has never been and issue. I think it is if you are layering colors next to colors.

Step 7: I have NEVER smoothed the back of my FBCT before I added the base color. I would be too afraid that I would smear the picture!!! I just tap it on the table to work out any air bubbles. Once it is frozen hard again I then add a layer of icing on the back of the transter. I apply it with a icing bag and then gently smooth that layer. You can make it a thin layer or thick.

Step 8: Some prefer to put a shell edge around the transfer once applied. I have done both ways. But if you don't make sure that you try to keep your edges neat.
Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!
Beth

Cake_Princess Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesea

Step 6 says: (âContinue with your colors thinking about layers as you goâ) â What does thinking about layers as you go mean?

YOu need to visualize the order in which to put the colors on. So for example, if you have a person that's wearing blue jeans with a yellow t-shirt that's not tucked in. You would start with your outline. Next you would do the yellow shirt. Followed by the blue jeans that's under the shirt. Then the skin tone. That's what is meant by thinking about the layers.

So to clarify that, you dont want to start laying down your yellow shirt before your outline. You need to think of what element of the picture goes on 1st.

Quote:
Quote:

Step 7 says: (âWhen you have finished coloring in your graphic, smooth the back while gently pushing without blending your colors underneathâ) â This is where I am stuck.
· Am I right to say that after I have finished coloring the image, I use a spatula to smooth the back (I will not spoil the coloring of the image right?)

Yes

Quote:
Quote:

Step 8 says: (âAnything you have on the edges will show on your cake. Using the same color icing you use to ice the cake with, edge the transferâ) â Please explain this step to me â am a little confused.

Basically, if your cake is iced in brown and the edge of your transfer is purple then you will have that color difference. However, if you want to to sort of appear to be the same background then you need to trim the edge of the transfer in the same color as your cake.

Hope this makes sense

Bluesea Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:27am
post #4 of 17

thank you guys. am gonna try 1st FBCT this weekend. wish me luck. fingers & everything in pair crossed.

xstitcher Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:28am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesea

thank you guys. am gonna try 1st FBCT this weekend. wish me luck. fingers & everything in pair crossed.

Hi Bluesea,

Please post your pic when you are done! I'd love to see it!

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluesea Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 17

ok, here's the result of my 1st hands-on practice with FCBT. it broke into half when i took it out of the fridge? pls scan thru the pictures below and let me know where i went wrong.

stage 1 - tracing the black lines

stage 2 - coloring

stage 3 - i covered the back of the transfer with ganache. did i do this correctly?

stage 4 - final product. why are the patches all over the image? what went wrong?

would really appreciate your feedback.

thank u all.

Granpam Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 17

Looks like you have the concept down. Just need to make your colors a little thicker. I think the blotches are because your colors weren't thick enough and your ganache is bleeding though.

Bluesea Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 17

thanks for your feedback grandpam. how to stop the bleeding? will it help if i coat a thin layer of the ganache? why it did break?

shelbur10 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 17

I have had them break when I don't make them thick enough. The thinner the layers, the faster they thaw out and you have literally seconds to work with them.
I've never used ganache on a FBCT, it might be bleeding through because it's heavier than the colored frosting? Not sure about that. I always just use a layer of BC on the back.
Great first try, though!! Keep us updated!

maurerba Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 17

That is a great first try your outline is VERY neat and crisp! I would agree with the PP that the background might have come through because it was a little heavier. Next time I would try to make the colors a little thicker. I also have never used Ganache as my background layer so that might also be part of why it broke. But, they do soften up FAST so you have to move quickly. Once you let it set out did the two parts "melt" back together a little? If that happens again, wait until it crusts over and pat the seam of the break, it will help the two parts come back together. Can't wait to see your next try!

xstitcher Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 17

I think even with the crack you did a fantastic job! I'm sure the next one will come out absolutely perfect! Keep up the great work! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluesea Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #12 of 17

Thanks for all your feedbacks & compliments. I must agree with what all of you say that â this is fun. I enjoyed coloring them.

Since this was only a trial (didnât bake a cake to put on it), I put the FBCT back in the freezer. I will try taking them out today and see if the two parts melt back together. Beth, what you mean when you say âpat the seam of the breakâ? Care to explain. Thank you.

I covered the back of the transfer with ganache becos I am gonna bake a chocolate cake for motherâs day and frost it with ganache. So, what should I do since ganache bleeds thru? Will it help if I color the image thicker? What other alternatives do I have?

Thanks all.

maurerba Posted 2 May 2008 , 9:50am
post #13 of 17

Beth, what you mean when you say âpat the seam of the breakâ? Care to explain.

I mean that when you put your FBCT on your cake try to match your two pieces up as closely and neatly at you can. Then allow the BC to crust over (this takes longer with a FBCT) Once it has crusted over you can LIGHTY pat along the break seam and try to bring the two pieces back together. This is what I had to do to my Jessie transfer on my Toy Story cake. No one but me could tell she had broken.

As for your ganache question all I can say is try the colors thicker. You could also just do the background color in BC and then make a shell border around the edges with the BC frosting. So you would have a total BC transfer on a ganache covered cake. Hope this helps!

xstitcher Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:31am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerba

This is what I had to do to my Jessie transfer on my Toy Story cake. No one but me could tell she had broken.
!

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, you did a great job on your toy story cake and your right, I can't see any evidence of a break!

Thanks again!

Bluesea Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerba

As for your ganache question all I can say is try the colors thicker. You could also just do the background color in BC and then make a shell border around the edges with the BC frosting. So you would have a total BC transfer on a ganache covered cake. Hope this helps!

Beth, this is a great tip. Will try doing this for my mother's day cake. Thanks babe.

tracey1970 Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #16 of 17

Bluesea,

This idea may help you with not having to smooth background-coloured icing on the back of the transfer or worrying about how to get the FBCT onto the cake seamlessly (without having to do a border around it to "blend" it in to the top of the cake)

I read somewhere about someone who not only did the FBCT but also filled in around it to whatever size/shape the cake top was going to be, and then froze it.

Here's what I mean. Let's say you wanted to do a Mickey Mouse face on an 8" round cake. You would take your pic of Mickey and around that, wherever you wanted his face to be on the cake top, you would draw the outline of the 8" pan circle. You would place waxed/parchment paper over the design of Mickey and fill that in with the required colours to make his face. Then, around that you would use white icing (or whatever colour of icing you wanted to put on the whole top of the cake as your background icing) to fill in the remainder of the 8" circle. Pop it in the freezer.

So, in essence, you are making a FBCT of your entire cake top. On the day you decorate your cake, you just ice and smooth the sides. Take the FBCT out of the freezer, lay it on the cake, touch up where it meets the sides (which you will cover with a border anyway), and voila! That way, your actual FBCT and cake top are one unit - no worries about getting Mickey's face to sit nicely into the icing on the top of the cake or about putting edging around the transfer to give it a smooth finish. It's already flush with the cake top because of how you made it.

Hope that helps (and it's not too late - I just saw your post today for the first time).

Bluesea Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #17 of 17

hi tracey1970, brilliant idea. thanks for sharing it with us. i guess if i do this i don't have to worry abt my transfer breaking. no, it isn't too late. am gonna bake cakes for mother's day this weekend.

thanks to everyone for sharing their tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%