Make A Bc Rose With Smooth Edges!!!

Decorating By maurerba Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 3:04am by cocobean

maurerba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maurerba Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #1 of 15

I have been practicing all night and most times I make a rose the petals have a ripped/torn edge on the top. What am I doing wrong? I am using a butter/shortning mix for my BC and I am using tip 104. Please any input would be great. Thanks in advance!
Beth

14 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 15

Your icing might be a tad stiff.

On the plus size, it's more realistic icon_wink.gif

maurerba Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #3 of 15

I have tried it with two different consistanies of icing the first kind the roses just sort of melted and now with stiff icing the edges rip. icon_mad.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 15

Can't remember where I heard this, but add corn syrup or piping gel if icing is too stiff causing it to rip. May have come from my wilton instructor.

Don't know why it's supposed to work, i personally like the edges slightly ripped for a realistic effect.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 15

Make sure there are no air bubbles in your frosting. They can be the cause of torn edges. I generally make my roses with a stiff medium and I don't have a problem with torn edges at all.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 15

The softer icing may have been not mixed long enough to give it the body to stand up. It could be also that your icing was too warm. If you have hot hands it will warm the icing and cause it to have no body. You could try putting the decorating bag in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes. If you do this remove the tip first or the metal will make the icing in the tip get too stiff.
The icing should not be so stiff you cannot squeeze it easily out of the bag.
hth.

maurerba Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the input! I will keep trying! I am determined to make a BC rose!!!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:29am
post #8 of 15

Have you tried Tip 150. I recommend it to my students all the time for that very reason. I know the edges are not as fine but it helps when you are still learning. Practice, practice, practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #9 of 15

Have you tried Tip 150. I recommend it to my students all the time for that very reason. I know the edges are not as fine but it helps when you are still learning. Practice, practice, practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #10 of 15

Make sure you have enough pressure on the bag when you squeeze too. My Wilton instructor told me that it was the reason why I was getting torn edges. I am sure there can by several reasons but that definitively helped me.

maurerba Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #11 of 15

Well, I am putting the icing away for the night but I will try again tomorrow! Practice, practice!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerba

I have been practicing all night and most times I make a rose the petals have a ripped/torn edge on the top. What am I doing wrong? I am using a butter/shortning mix for my BC and I am using tip 104. Please any input would be great. Thanks in advance!
Beth

Work a little piping gel into your icing. Also open up the end of your tip a bit more.

ugetsnun2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugetsnun2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #13 of 15

The stiff medium is a good consistency for the petals. If it's too stiff, the tips crack; if too thin, the rose falls over. The corn syrup/piping gel suggestion helps too. It gives the icing more elasticity, thus eliminating breaks and tears.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:01am
post #14 of 15

HEY! I have awlays had that same problem! Wanna know my very lazy way of fixing this problem... I buy premade frosting and add powdered suger! I know, I know, this is bad bad advice, but for me it is what works best. Maybe someday I will try the piping gel trick though!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #15 of 15

I have the same problems you have. So one day when I was using some Victoria Secret hand lotion (from the tube) I noticed it looked just like IMBC looks in other peoples pictures. I thought, I wonder if I could practice making roses with it. So that is what I did. icon_lol.gif hey were beautiful roses. Great for practicing with. Just can't try and slide them onto something. You can only practice on the nail tip then put it back in the bag and practice again. I know it sounds kind of goofy but I sure thought they looked pretty. I took a picture of it. I'm going to post it right now if you want to take a look. Maybe someday I'll try using real IMBC. I made it once a long time ago and it seemed very labor intensive. But I do love the look of it on a cake because of the smoothness of it. *I'll have to post it on the main page. I don't know how to do it here).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%