Do I Really Need A Cutter To Do A Cala Lilly?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm by kakeladi

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 14

I really don't have the funds right now for ANOTHER cutter.. I have many of the other ones.. even though some of them haven't EVER been out of their packages..

I would love to do these for a grad cake.. but like roses they make my ulcer whine... Are they hard to do????

Thanks alot for any advice that is given!!! icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful night CC!!!

13 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 14

You can easily handcut calla lilies (copy a pic of a cutter and enlarge it to the point you like it) or you can use a heart cutter (upside down). Thin the edges a bit with a ball tool and you're good to go.

HTH
Rae

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 14

Thank you Rae icon_smile.gif

But how do I attach the stamen .. I really have NO idea how to make them at all

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 14

I made some with the heart cutter for a 1st communion cake... I had no idea either! but it's really easy! I used a skewer, put a yellow sausage of fondant on it, and used the heart cutter, thinned it a little with a ball tool and attached. voila! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #5 of 14

Ohhh Beachcakes .. 1st off the cake you did for the Priest is AWESOME!!!!! Beautiful !!! I have shown that to many Priests!!!! icon_smile.gif

2nd Thank you for that little tutorial!!!! So not to hard at all huh?

Thank you and have a wonderful night!!!! icon_smile.gif

EmmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmyD Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #6 of 14

My Wilton teacher taught us how to make it with a heart cutter. just use the tip as the point of the flower and bend it down. i dont really know how to describe it but she made it work.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 14

If you need wires, you can dry the flower part cupped/folded, dry the stamen on a sturdy wire (22-26 gauge), paint some gum glue in the open hole on the inside, and slide the stamen/wire assembly down in.

If you don't need wires, you can make stamens & dry them and then wrap the flower around it, using gum glue or water to adhere them and then dry them. You can put little foam bits, cotton, or paper towel inside to keep the stamen from molding to the flower before it dries.

HTH
Rae

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #8 of 14

Thank you all!! I'm going to copy this topic right now icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Thank you Rae icon_smile.gif

But how do I attach the stamen .. I really have NO idea how to make them at all

Roll out a piece of gumpaste to form a sausage. Insert your wire that has been brush with royal glue. Use a paint brush to lightly coat it with a bit of the royal glue and roll the sausage in corn meal. This is your stamen. Leave it to dry for a day.

For the petal:
Cut out a heart shape and thin the edges. You want the final rolled product a bit longer than wide. Use a piece of dried corn husk to vein the petal. Brush the bottom edge of the petal with some royal glue. Roll one edge on to the base of the stamen then roll the other edge on to the back of the 1st edge of the petal. Smoosh and smooth the base of the petal on to the wire. Place the flower on a flower former or sponge so the tip curls backward. When your flower is dry brush it with petal dust or grated non-toxic pastel colors.

If you are having too much over hang for the base of the petal try cutting of the rounded edge of the heart (that becomes the base of the petal) before thinning.

Hope this makes sense.

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #10 of 14

Perfect sense icon_smile.gif Thank you sooo much!

beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks Christi! icon_redface.gif

Really - if i can make callas with a heart cutter, anyone can!! I am gumpaste flower challenged! I have a few more to make for a cake next weekend.

wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 14

Ok so if I need to do leaves? LOL Whole other question LOL

What do calla lilly leaves look like (I really am challenged LOL)

beachcakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 14

I wondered the same, so I googled callas. All the pix I found there weren't really leaves. Do you have the Wilton gp set? I used the long tulip leaf just to put some green in there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 14

Oh boyicon_smile.gif Calla leaves are *big*, long, dk green.
If you do a google image search of 'calla lily' you will find a couple pix on the 1st pg. Not only will you find leaves, it will show you how to wrap the heart and how the stamen should lookicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%