What Did I Do Wrong

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 9 May 2008 , 12:14am by CelebrationCakery

snoopy3 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 10

I made a 10x15x3 marble cake this a.m. I put parchment on the bottom and greased and floured the sides. When I took it out and let cool (about 10 minutes) then flipped it onto my cooling rack, it split in half (kind of torted itself!) It will still be okay, but for future reference what did I do wrong???

9 replies
JoAnnB Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 10

Haven't had that happen to me, so I'm just guessing
Did you run a knife around the edges- I always to as a precaution
was there anything between the bottom of the pan and the parchment-some instructions tell you to grease the pan, then put in the parchement I never do (I'm lazy)

poshcakedesigns Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry that happened to you. Not sure what could have gone wrong.

Omicake Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 10

I understand it broke horizontally( kind of torted itself).I suppose you put the cooling rack on top of the pan and then flipped it. Was it so? The only thing that comes to my mind that could have happened is that it might be still too hot to be turned.

CelebrationCakery Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 10

Now you said it "torted itself" I am thinking if it split that way did you add batter, mix up another batch and add some more??? I would guess that maybe the first layer had "set up" and then they kindof baked separtately...sortof...sometimes if the batter sits it can get a little dry on top....

Auryn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 10

maybe it wasnt cool all the way??
I always let mine cool at least 30 min

TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:53am
post #7 of 10

Where did it split exactly?

Did you have a hump on the cake? If you did and you flipped it with the top was on the bottom on the cooling rack, the sides of the cake can weight down causing the middle to split in half.

sarahnichole975 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #8 of 10

I have had this happen, and I think it was a combo of turning it out to hot and sticking to the bottom. When I do parchment or wax paper, I still grease the bottom, just to be sure.

snoopy3 Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 10

I did not run the knife around the edges. I will try that next time. So what do you do when you have to mix up several or more than 1 batch of cake. My KA mixer will only do 2 at a time. Some pans I need 3... what do you do in that case?

CelebrationCakery Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 10

Hi Snoopy...
Is the mixing thing what happened on this cake? Did you mix a batch and then have to mix another while the first one was in the pan already? If you need to mix more than what fits into your mixer I would put it into a bowl and then after the next batch is done mix them all together by hand so that the consistancy is all mixed with one another...while that first batch is in the bowl I would be sure to cover it with suran wrap just so the air does not get it...I have noticed that the mix can expand once it is out for a while if it is not used right away. I hope this helps...(I was curious about this one)

Quote by @%username% on %date%