I Need Help With Black Icing

Decorating By 4cardsfanz Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm by apetricek

4cardsfanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4cardsfanz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone help me with black icing. Mine always seems to be gray and shiny. I have tried starting with chocolate icing. Any ideas???

10 replies
cakes_by_rhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_rhonda Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 11

I am not sure if you have access to it in your area, but I always use Americolor Super Black. It is always stronger than the Wilton black food color.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 11

Here is another vote for Americolor Super Black - great stuff.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 11

I definitely recommend Americolor. Their colors are amazing to work with compared with other brands. Good luck with your projects! icon_smile.gif

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

I know how you feel about the icing. Last month I had to do a Mickey Mouse cake and used 3 containers of the Wilton black coloring I was so frustrated that it still wasn't as black as it should be. I ended up calling a cake dedorating friend who told me to leave the cake alone and the color would darken. Believe it or not once it was iced and left alone for about 1 hour it really did darken to black.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 11

I use the wilton black, and I would really get frustrated because it would turn out gray....but I also started letting it sit...and viola!!! it was black!

But I definitely have to get my hands on Americolor!

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 11

http://www.cakeartpartystore.com/store/e-StoreOperations_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20209

I use the above product and Americolor super black. I also make it a day or two in advance b/c esp. w/ the powder above, it darkens as it sits.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

And again, Americolor super black. You don't need alot and you don't have to start with anything but plain old white icing!!!BTW their super red is the only red to use too!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 11

The Americolor super black and red get my vote. I do alot of MMF and it works great for that also.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 11

The Americolor super black and red get my vote. I do alot of MMF and it works great for that also.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 11

I definately would say Americolor gel black. Also red is amazing makes things really the color you are going for, but you don't have that paste taste like with Wilton. Great with buttercream, or fondant/gumpaste. I get it from a wholesaler, but FYI I have seen it on ebay for sale. Just put in Americolor. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%