Sugar Free Icing Without Artificial Sweeteners?

Baking By Sheepytime Updated 3 May 2008 , 3:55pm by sgilmer

Sheepytime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheepytime Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am not sure if this is possible but I thought I'd ask.

Is it possible to make an icing without sugar or artificial sweeteners like splenda that is still pipeable? The only sweetener that can be used is honey or fruit (but not fructose).

I thought maybe something cream cheese based?

5 replies
mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

That is my biggest challenge when someone wants goodies and no sugar. I think Splenda makes a powdered sugar but for true diabetics its not the best once metabilized. Fresh lemon juice and cream cheese would help make it thicker. But I am very interested if someone has another solution.

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

This is the frosting recipe I have been using and I did pipe names on cupcakes with it, I am not sure if a shell border or something like that would stand up with it. It is very good though.

1cup lowfat milk
1 large box sugar free Instant pudding
2cups Heavy Cream

Put milk into a mixing bowl and measure cream and set aside so it's ready. Pour the pudding into the milk and beat until just disolved. Add the heavy cream and then beat until light and fluffy.

Now if I can only find a cake recipe that doesn't taste like bread icon_rolleyes.gif
I hope that helps

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

cream cheese has sugar in it, that and you have to use something to thicken it with so that it will pipe. I just made a whole bunch for my mom's carrot cake, and it's really soft, I was hoping to cover it with fondant to make a quit pattern, she loves sewing and stuff, but not sure if it would hold up. icon_sad.gif Is there a reason you don't want to use splenda? I know you can make swiss meringure using splenda and it will pipe really nice. Good luck

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

This sugar free icing sounds great. I didn't think it was possible! My DS (adult) has just been diagnosed with diabetes so I've been looking for recipes.

IF you find that cake that doesn't taste like bread, please let us know about it!

Thanks for the recipe. Janice

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

cream cheese has sugar in it

From what I understand, cream cheese contains lactose (a milk sugar), not granulated sugar. I have no idea whether or not it is THAT bad for diabetics to have. It may be just fine, but I can't say for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%