Has Anyone Mixed Two Different Cake Mixes??

Decorating By Shelly4481 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm by Shelly4481

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride that wants a spice cake (very light spice flavor).I got a recipe from the recipe section for a extended spice cake. The bride said it had to strong of a spice flavor. She wants it very lite flavor. So I was wondering if I could do the spice cake and mix with a white cake mix to just add a little spice flavor. Has anyone ever done that or should I keep looking for a good lite spice cake? Any ideas? Thanks for your help

6 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 7

I would just use a lighter spice recipe. Unless she wants the cake marbled with another flavor.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 7

I would not recommend mixing a spice cake with a white cake, as the white cake uses only whites, and has a different density than a regular cake mix. By the time you blend the two thoroughly, you may end up over-mixing it.

I would blend it with a basic yellow cake mix. Sift the two powders together twice, before adding to the liquid.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 7

Oh yes, I've done that many timesicon_smile.gif There is no problem.
If you don't feel you want to do thst, then use yellow cake mix & add 1/2 the spices you would for a scratch recipe.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 7

Hi. I would suggest trying to find a lighter spice cake recipe. If you used the Spice Cake Extender recipe from the Recipe section, I see that it has added spices (2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 2 packs apple cider mix), so that may have been what made it too spicy for the Bride. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 7

Pumpkin pie spice works well. About 1/2 teaspoon should make a nice, light spice flavoring.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 7

Oh thanks for all the replies, I think I will play with different ones this weekend. I will try the yellow first without extra spices, see how that goes. Then maybe the pumpkin pie spice. I knew someone would have a idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%