To Ganache Or Not To Ganache

Decorating By brattinamjc Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 6:10am by julzs71

brattinamjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brattinamjc Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 4

a have a few ques...is it better to us whipped ganache as a filling to a fondant cake or regular? i also saw a tip to coat layers of cake w melted choc b4 adding whipped ganache. how long will that whipped ganache stay fresh after set in cake and covered? and lastly, can u ice the cake with the whipped or red ganache and add fondant? thanks guys, any suggestions tips would be great.

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 4

I use the whipped ganache as a truffle filling all the time, but I don't use the straight (non-whipped) to fill the cakes, only to cover them. You can use it in a buttercream or fondant cake, but it needs to be refrigerated regardless becasue all it is is whipped cream and chocolate. I don't think that you need to coat the layers with chocolate before putting the truffle on, that just seems like an extra step to me. And yes, you can use the truffle to cover a cake, but it's going to be REALLY rich, so watch out! Iwouldn't cover it with fondant because if it melts at all it will seep out and leave a huge mess.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:58am
post #3 of 4

I agree with costumeczar, whipped ganache is excellent as a filling. Whipping it helps add a bit of volume. I've only ever used unwhipped ganache as a filling if it was like a "piggyback" filling like I spread on a layer of ganache and then covered that with bavarian cream...or perhaps raspberries, etc. I totally agree that you would not coat the layers before icing--that's just redundant...although I have found that sometimes I have trouble getting the whipped ganache to adhere to the cake, so I wonder if that "coat w/poured ganache" suggestion is to help combat that...?

I've actually covered whipped ganache with fondant, it works out just fine. It's pretty sturdy as far as icings go, as long as it's not terribly warm out. Ganache is OK at room temp for two days (if you can go that long without eating it icon_razz.gif); the fat and sugar content is so high it inhibits bacterial growth. I don't generally refrigerate a whipped ganache-covered cake (i.e. one that's for my own consumption) because you want the icing (or filling) to return to room temp before eating, and I usually can't wait that long icon_lol.gif. However if it were a cake I was making ahead of time I would prefer to refrigerate it until it was needed.

I'm a chocoholic so a chocolate cake filled with whipped ganache and then iced with the same, that is pure heaven to me!! Indeed it is quite rich, but most people just love it...they just can't eat as big a slice as they would with a lighter cake (which is fine if I can get my hands on the leftovers!!!)

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:10am
post #4 of 4

I use unwhipped ganache all the time. It is good that way I think. Whipped ganache is good also. I don't refidgerate it. I let it sit out on the counter for as long as the cake last. It is sooooooooo yummy. I put ganache under fondant all the time. If I want it white I will usually make the fondant a little thicker or put a thin layer of white buttercream on top of the ganache. I just made a frog cake that had chocolate under the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%