Wonderful Idea, But How Do I Do It?

Decorating By fabfour Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm by Amia

fabfour Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to do a couple of cakes for a teachers retirement party. This is really a big deal, I could potentally get a lot of orders from this. The first cake will be a 3 tierd cake. No problems with design. The second cake is a stacked book cake. I will attach a photo of the cake that gave the committee the ideas (thanks to shannonfl for her wonderful design). The changes are: 2 books I am thinking both being 9x13 with one being 2 layer (for the thicker book effect) and one just one layer. Stacking them offset from one another. The crayons will be changed to pencils. They want to take the apple off and maybe place it beside the books and add a sack lunch and carton of milk on top since one of the retirees is a cook in the kitchen.
How do I make those? I will be icing in all buttercream, they don't like fondant. I can use fondant for accents but not for all icing.

Thank you so much

Missy
LL

2 replies
LeanneW Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 3

wow, that sounds like a tall order. I hope this turns out great for your busines. I have never made a book cake. I think you could do it with bc no problem. The pencils, apple, lunch bag, and milk I would do out of gumpaste though.

I like the idea of having a thinner book and a thicker book.

Could you make one an academic book like a math text book or dictionary and the other a cook book, that would tie in with the lunch lady bit. maybe make the title of the cook book "cooking with love" or something cute.

wih I could be more help. can't wait to see it when you're done.

Amia Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with the cookbook idea. It would be just as cute and much easier for you! Maybe add the lady's name to the title to make it a little more personal. I also second using gumpaste, it dries faster than fondant. Or use a 50/50 mix. Do those days in advance, so they have time to dry, and you aren't stressing yourself the night before.

Are you going to do both books brown? I think doing them in two dark colors (i.e. navy, maroon, forest green etc) would look nice too.

For icing, using a crusting bc will probably be your best choice. In my experience, and that isn't much icon_lol.gif , it is easier to repair should you jab it with a stray finger when decorating or stacking. It also doesn't stick after it's crusted.

If you do the sack lunch and want to make it look like the top has been rolled closed (does that make sense?) you can use plastic wrap and it will support it while it dries and give it a more realistic curled look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%