Who's Birthday Is It Anyway????

Decorating By shellzey Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm by GeminiRJ

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 8

i'm new to cakes and have been surprised at how many times i've read that parents have ordered a birthday cake in the theme THEY wanted but the child wanted something else so they incorporated a part of what the child wanted into the theme.

Is this normal?? that just seems odd to me. i always let my kids pick what they want for their birthday...it is their birthday!!!

7 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 8

Me, too, I always do whatever theme my child wants. (Even if that means I have to be surrounded by Wiggles!)

I think these parents are all about themselves.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 8

Hmm, well for my nephew there have been times when I picked the cake/theme. For him the only character cake he has gotten was Scooby and he got that one cause I was able to make a 3D cake out of it. Usually I ask him for ideas and go from there, but there have been a time or two when I have said hey I came across this cake, would you like something like this for your birthday.

His birthday is coming up in May and we have mentioned it a couple of times. Right now it has been left with I'll come up with a few ideas and he can pick. He's very particular, so if he 'designed' a cake and I didn't do it just so so he would point that out to me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

I've ALWAYS thought that a kid's birthday would be MUCH more fun for the kid if adults were not allowed to participate!

Especially first birthdays .... the kid has NO idea what the heck is going on. The party isn't for the kid ... it's for the parent. I'll take a bridezilla over a first-birthday-mom ANY day of the year!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with indydebi! A friend of mine had a huge party at an exclusive country club for 200 people when her daughter turned 1. 200! Give me a break.

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

country club first birthday....ridiculous. it was all about the mom i'm sure. wanting to show off.

i just had to laugh at the one cake (which was done beautifully BTW) but it was a mickey mouse club house scene with an astronaut and rocket on it. the mom wanted mickey mouse and the boy wanted an astronaut.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 8

when my nephew turned 1 we had more than 300 people in our house. it was the best party ever. but yeah he won't remember it LOL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 8

My friend spares no expense for her daughters' birthdays. She never does just cake and ice cream in the back yard. For the second daughter's fifth birthday she had to go to three different florists to buy enough flowers to totally fill her house for the party. Luckily, she married into lots of money and they can afford it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%