Omg What Did I Get Myself Into.

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm by sweetflowers

ljhow623 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 9

I received a phone call last night from a woman asking if I would do a cake-decorating demo for a ladies group. After talking with her for a bit, I agreed as you never know it might bring me some business down the road. I would be doing a 15 minute demo on some type of cake decorating â what I donât know! Then I get a table to set up with possibly a few displays, my photo album, etc. Sounds great but now Iâm getting cold feet. She did mention the more unusual the better. Okay so Iâve made a few different style cakes that you donât see around my area but Iâm nowhere near as good as most people here. Iâm very nervous. I donât do good talking in front of people.

What do I do? What kind of demo would be good and short? Oh please give me some pointers as Iâm really stumped here.

8 replies
AJsGirl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 9

Pick one of your favorite cakes, and center the demo around that. Just relax and have fun with it! They asked YOU for a reason! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Auryn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 9

pick something that your good and confident in doing
the more you trust your own skill the more relaxed you will be

don't worry
you'll do great

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 9

When I was asked to do that some yrs ago I demo'd some very, very easy things a housewife could sprinkling powdered sugar over a stencil (frilly doily) and a simple border. Unusal? are these people decorators? housewives? I'm trying to think unusual for the average housewife...
that could be anything from very, very basic to over the top decorating.
If they mean unusal in what you display then I wouldn 't worry about how good I am....just take 1-3 of your *best* works and relax!

TexasSugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 9

To me 15 minutes is not long to demo something, so I would choose something more on the easier side of things. To wow average people we don't have to always go big.

Back in Feb I was asked to do a demo at a local chocolate themed contest. They offered me 30 mins, but I asked if I could have a little bit more because I knew that there wasn't much I could do start to finish in that time. I ended up doing a ganache cake and chocolate dip strawberries. They loved it, even though it isn't one of those 'hard' things. When I do demo's at Michaels for the Wiltocon classes I get ohh and ahhs over things like the swirl on the cupcakes and making the clown. So take a step back and don't think that it has to be a wow thing for you to be a wow thing for them.

With 15 mins I'd pick one thing or do several simple, quick things. When I did the demo I wanted it to be something they could go home and try with out having to go buy alot of things.

I'm with kakeladi, what kind of ladies group is this? You may find something you can do related to them. If it is mothers or grandmothers think of something they can do with their kids/grandkids. If it is people that may entertain what about pretty garnishes and such to dress up simple desserts?

indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 9

kakeladi is right ... what we consider common knowledge and simple is one of those "oh my gosh is THAT how you do that!" moments for a cake civilian.

Some examples of that reaction when I've told people:

- to get a flat cake you cut the round part off.
- baking strips helps reduce the doming
- bench scraper and a turntable will give a smooth icing base.
- dowels under a cake plate or board supports a cake
- stripe a decorating bag for 2-toned flowers or borders

HerBoudoir Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 9

The other thing you could do is decorate cupcakes - basic swirl, buttercream carnation, that sort of thing. They're something that can be completed easily but most people don't know how to do them.

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 9

All the ideas I've read have been great. When I did a demo to a group of ladies, I concentrated on cupcakes and easy ways to decorate them. If I were to do this now, I'd do a demo on chocolate covered Oreos using the molds from SpinningLeaf. Quick, easy, and no knowledge of decorating is required. And very few peope (outside this web site!) have seen them, so they're new!

sweetflowers Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 9

I'm with everyone else. The only thing I would add, PRACTICE!

The more you practice your little 15 minute the more comfortable you will feel. I practice talking and making the motions in front of a mirror so I get used to an audience. Kids work great for that too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%