Making 3D Shapes For Cakes

Decorating By emmaharris33 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm by Win

emmaharris33 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:53am
post #1 of 6

hi, i'm fairly new at this so bear with me! i have made a few cakes with 3d models on the top but the models are always very soft.i made a rabbit and the ears were supposed to stand up but kept flopping over! im using fondant. is there anything i can use to help with this.

5 replies
jlo6024 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:05am
post #2 of 6

I mix fonadant and gumpaste (50/50). The gumpaste dries much harder. Also, are you letting your fondant dry for a day or two before applying to the cake? That will also help.............gets harder as time goes on. Hope that helps you a little!

emmaharris33 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:09am
post #3 of 6

hi, thanks for the quick reply! i tried letting them dry but they keep cracking. also is there a difference between fondant and sugarpaste?

Win Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #4 of 6

At the link below my signature, I have a cake featured in my photo gallery... it has rabbits on it. To keep the ears from flopping, you place them and then "prop" them with either bubble wrap or rolled plastic wrap. That's how you keep hands suspended, etc. HOWEVER, if you are dealing with humidity, then you often are in a losing battle. I, too, use a mixture of gumpaste and fondant for my figures. Sugarpaste is the British version of fondant.

emmaharris33 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 6

thank you, your cakes are fantastic! sorry if i sound really stupid but what is gumpaste?

Win Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 6

Gumpaste is similar to fondant's texture but is dries very hard (and very quickly which is why I use a 50/50 mixture of the gumpaste and fondant - gives me more time to work but still dries hard.) It is really strong and can be rolled quite think without breaking. It is great for sculpting, and can be used for great detail work. It is available as premixed in the Wilton line (find at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) or as a powder which you add powdered sugar to, or can be made from scratch using gum trangacanth powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%