Making The Quilt Or Diamond Look In Buttercream

Decorating By Aubrey2007 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 4:34am by mindywith3boys

Aubrey2007 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:01am
post #1 of 16

Hey gals! I've never made the diamond impressions in fondant on a cake before. I was guessing you use a pizza cutter or a knife to score the cake? How would you get even lines? So I saw someone today who made this design in buttercream. How do you do this? Could someone explain it to me? It's such a pretty technique, but I just don't know how to do it. Thanks!

15 replies
xstitcher Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 16

I could be wrong as I'm still very new to decorating but I believe there are mats/stencils you can buy to achieve this look. Some decorators may do free hand, or some may have used the toothpick method for their design. There could be other ways as well but so far that is what I have seen/read here on CC.

HTH, Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

psanders76 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:20am
post #3 of 16

I have used the diamond impression mats in the past. I like to use a ruler and the back of a knife though its much easier for me.

xstitcher Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:18am
post #4 of 16
Originally Posted by psanders76

I have used the diamond impression mats in the past. I like to use a ruler and the back of a knife though its much easier for me.

On one of the posts I read one of our members mentioned using uncooked spaghetti to make lines. I thought that was a pretty neat idea!

Found it:

I like to give credit to the original poster whenever possible! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

joenshan Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:49am
post #5 of 16

I used the diamond impression mat. I got it from Global Sugar Art for $6 or $7 (can't remember). But it works great and is super easy to use. IF you look at my photo, that was using the mat on buttercream.

flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:02am
post #6 of 16

I have been looking for one of those, and Michaels here doesnt have one..... does anyone know if Hobby Lobby would? I hate to go the distance to Hobby Lobby and it not be there.

pjaycakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 16

I'm not sure any of the craft stores would carry them. There are alot of places online that carry them though.

These are just a few, but if you type Diamond Impression mat in the search engine you can find many stores that have them and other kinds also.

Aubrey2007 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #8 of 16

Thanks everyone...I have another question though. If you use the mat, how do you prevent your buttercream from just globing onto the mat? I'm afraid to smooth out my cake and then have the mat pull all the BC off.

I do like the spaghetti idea though.

mindywith3boys Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:27am
post #9 of 16

I have used an impression mat. You can see it in my photos. I bought two. They aren't all the same. The first one I bought off of ebay. The grooves in the mat weren't deep enough and I didn't think it made a good enough impression. So, I bought another one from cakes by sam For $5.75. It shipped really fast and was so worth it. It won't stick to the icing if you are using a crusting buttercream. And you can keep a little powdered sugar in a knee high to dust it.


Aubrey2007 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks Mindy! icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #11 of 16

I use the plastic impression mat for both fondant and BC. sometimes i trace over the lines in the fondant with a stitching wheel.

the BC will not stick as long as it is well crusted.


vteventrider Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #12 of 16

I use the impression mat. I could not find it at any stores including cake stores in my area. Most of the stores had never heard of what I wanted to I got it from Sugarshack. I use it on fondant and BC with great results but best on BC (I am too afraid to really press on fondant).

Aubrey2007 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:52am
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone...looks like I'll be picking up one from you Sharon. icon_smile.gif My cake store here in AZ only had a three diamond tall, one diamond wide, cookie cutter type thing. It was 20 bucks too. Grrr....Oh well.

Molly2 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:14am
post #14 of 16

I bought impression mats for my cake at a cake supply store if you have a Hobby Lobby near you look in the clay supplies area and also look in the area where they sale the supplies for the doll houses I have seen items that are used for the houses that can also be used to make impressions on a cake I think these panels are used for the ceiling and walls they cost about the same as a impression for a cake I hope this helps


lepaz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:16am
post #15 of 16

Hi Aubrey,
I saw the same thing here in Washington state today and I was griping because it was 18.00!!

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #16 of 16

I actually have one of those that I bought the same time I bought my impression mat. I've never used it though. I'm really not sure how to use it.


Quote by @%username% on %date%