What Type Of Flowers Are These?

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm by Cyndi1207

Cyndi1207 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #1 of 21

A bride to be brought me this pic (charm city cakes) and wants me to replicate it for her wedding. If anyone can tell what kind of flowers they are...........and perhaps how to make them {{{{{crossing fingers}}}} I would so greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

20 replies
xswizit1 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:23am
post #2 of 21

That is so tough! Are you sure they are even flowers?

Cyndi1207 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #3 of 21

Lol........no icon_sad.gif

The bride said flowers so I "saw" flowers. They have to be............what else would they be?

xswizit1 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 21

It almost looks like snowflakes to me... Did she see it in person?

leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 21

Ehh . . .just looks like a little 5 petal cutter to me.

Heather35 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 21

They look like small bridal lilies or cherry blossoms. The ones on top appear to have stamens.

kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 21

I think leahs is right. Might even be a small daisy.
Then they are dried in a cup or some such thing.
If the bride and you don't know I bet she will be happy w/anything similar looking. Go thru your cutters and play around a bit icon_smile.gif

TheButterWench Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 21
Originally Posted by leahs

Ehh . . .just looks like a little 5 petal cutter to me.

yep, that's what I see too, and that's what I'd do.

if the top ones have stamens, make the flower, shove the stamens in and then just twirl a little of the gumpaste around the stamens.

realms Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 21

They appear to have a trumpet-like shape, my best guess would be something similar to a honeysuckle flower.

FromScratch Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 21

Looks like a little 5 petal blossom cutter to me too. They are super easy to do. You don't even need any special tools.. just cut them out and dry them in a cupped form. Can't tell if they have stamens.. but you could just put a dragee in the center too. icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 21

It's definately 5 petals and cupped up, but since it's triangle in shape looks trumpet like maybe a stephanotis cupped?????????????????

Look at the ones on the sides towards the top.

couturecakesms Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 21

I looked on the Charm City Cakes website, and that is where the picture is from. It is such a large cake that I think the flower has to be fairly big to be in proportion with the cake. Probably a medium to large blossom cutter that is dried in a cupped shape and has some type of stamen extending out beyond the petals. I just got through with some advanced gumpaste classes in Atlanta and if you will give me time to look through my cutters, I can probably figure this one out. Email me to remind me to look over the weekend and I'll see if I can replicate it for you.

It's definitely larger than a stephanotis, but similar in shape. I thought it had a large dragee in the center at first (which would be my preferred method), but I do think it has a stamen that extends out beyond the petals.

leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 21

I assume that everyone uses egg cartons for shaping flowers?

ladyellam Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 21

Leah, that's a great idea! I've never heard of it but now I'm using my big 5 doz cartons for it. Thank you so much for the tip!!!


goal4me Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #15 of 21

Looks like a chenille bedspread like pattern...
The flower is a 5 petal cutter.
They may haveused the round end of gumpaste tool and made one swipe fom cente to tip on each flower petal to thin and cul the petals....

the piping between the flowers looks to be creative use of a decorative tip
maybe even a leaf tip applied at an angle to give texture and whimsy to the curvey pattern.

I think it looks simple.

Do you know what kind of stand was used between the top and 2nd layer?

TheButterWench Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #16 of 21
Originally Posted by leahs

I assume that everyone uses egg cartons for shaping flowers?

Not recommended because of cross contamination, even the apple cartons could have pesticides.

I know that we try to cut corners but please, not with this.

Cyndi1207 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 21

Well I thought it was a five petal cutter too but some do look a little on the trumpet side. I was just worried that it wouldn't look the same. The bride does want them really sticking out.

Thanks for all the great replies by the way icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:36pm
post #18 of 21

The plunge cutters would probably work well here - the little plunger cups the flower as you push it out of the cutter. They come in 5 and 6 petal cutters in varying sizes.

FromScratch Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 21

You can get unused egg cartons from poultry supply stores.. your local Agway might have some or you can get them on line..

You can also use the plastic ones that you can sanitize. icon_smile.gif

I just use polyester fiber fill to dry flowers on..

wgoat5 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 21

Actually you CAN use them if you take the proper precautions... I wrap my egg cartons.... it takes some time but I do it.. and it works for me... sorry with gas so high and ingredients getting just as high I have NO problems with people cutting corners...

Cyndi1207 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks------I'm all about cutting corners as long as it still looks and tastes great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%