Keep Cake In Fridge Or Not?

Decorating By chillysmommy Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 6:03am by ceshell

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #1 of 6

I'm new to fondant. I'm just wondering, if I make the cake, covered with fondant, on Friday, for a Saturday early afternoon party, is it going to still taste fresh? Can I keep it on the counter, covered in plastic wrap, overnight? Any other tips are welcome!

Thanks for the help.
Michele

5 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 6

If it's just cake filled/frosted with buttercream under the fondant then yes it can stay out.

If you're using any dairy filling (pudidng, mousse, etc) or fruit filling or the like, it will need to be refrigerated.

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the response. Yes, regular ButterCream stuff, nothing in the cake itself that needs to be refrigerated. I was just worried about condensation on the fondant if I leave under plastic wrap, or the opposite, drying out? Is there a certain way I should keep covered or am I just being paranoid? icon_redface.gif

thanks!

sugardaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaze Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 6

According to my teacher, to prevent condensation you need to keep the cake in the box and cover the box with plastic so condensation cannot occur.

mocakiss86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakiss86 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

I cool weather the fidg is ok but warm/humid at all the condisation is a big problem.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #6 of 6

You don't need to refrigerate or cover with wrap to keep the cake fresh - the fondant itself seals the cake in (actually the buttercream does that job first); and the moisture from the icing keeps the fondant from drying out. However I would put it in a box/etc. in order to protect it from any environmental elements in your kitchen (dust, pet hair, whatever). Though...the last cake I did I just loosely covered the cake itself w/plastic wrap to keep it clean and protected. No refrigeration needed; it'll still taste fresh, you're only talking about overnight icon_smile.gif.

Heh, I just noticed the date on this post, you've probably already resolved this !! Hope it turned out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%