This Week: 2 Wedding Cakes, 5 Birthday Cakes, 2Dz Cupcakes..

Business By melodyscakes Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm by SweetConfectionsChef

melodyscakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #1 of 13

kinda funny, but this used to overwhelm me...now I wish it where a busier week. I've had so much time to play on the net, make extra flowers, chat on phone. most weeks I don't stop to eat, this is a slow week. I am enjoying it though.

have a great week,

melody

12 replies
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 13

Dang, I'm overwhemeled just reading how much you have to do this week! Good luck and enjoy your downtime this week icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 13

you got time for EVERYTHING ELSE? man! you have to TEACH me time management skills. LOL

enjoy your slow week. icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #4 of 13

building speed really rox.

after my partner left a few years ago, i had the whole workload by myself...i was so tired and stressed out i used to cry sometimes before i went to sleep on friday nights....and it was hard to sleep cause i knew what i was facing the next day....i could barely walk by the end of the day...

last saturday i did a triple tier wedding cake, 10 party cakes and 2 full sheet wedding type cakes...i was tired, but it wasn't too bad.....

it seems like after a few years...something just "clicks"...i was just thinking the other day how much easier my life is than it used to be....plus charging more than i used to doesn't hurt either.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 13

It really is amazing how much faster we get...not to mention more confident. When I started doing this catering thing last September I had 2 employees and we could barely get the lunches out the door everyday and I would be there until midnight on Friday trying to finish the few cake orders that I actually took. Last week me and my ONE employee fed 80 people to 2 different companies EVERYDAY, I did one 4 teir wedding cake, 6 birthday cakes, and the biggest festival our little area has for the year attracting about 10,000 people....Saturday was a $1500 day...we had to make the $1500 worth of products, candy, cookies, cupcakes, ect. Did I mention I have in my 5th month of pregnancy??? LOL

Now I'm tired....I'm going back to bed!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 13

Wow.. I'd be pulling my hair out.. you are amazing!!!

littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #7 of 13

wow sweet confections! (bowing)I'M NOT WORTHY

LOL

littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:40am
post #8 of 13

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1x2pkILr_g&feature=related

this is how fast the decorators were going at the first bakery i was hired at....her roses are really nice..

i think she does this cake in a little over 3 minutes....i was curious so i timed me...i take about 10 minutes on an already iced cake...but i put more stuff on them..about 20 for drawings...i sure never thought i'd get almost as fast as those girls when i first hired on all those years ago

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

wow sweet confections! (bowing)I'M NOT WORTHY

LOL

Sure explains my burnout and the sell of my shop doesn't it??? BTW, everything on the sale is complete...just waiting for their bank to cut me a check!

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1x2pkILr_g&feature=related

this is how fast the decorators were going at the first bakery i was hired at....her roses are really nice..

i think she does this cake in a little over 3 minutes....i was curious so i timed me...i take about 10 minutes on an already iced cake...but i put more stuff on them..about 20 for drawings...i sure never thought i'd get almost as fast as those girls when i first hired on all those years ago

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

Moniquea Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 13

Congrats! Someday icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe I can get that fast.

I only do one cake a week or so and that's all I can do. I still haven't gone to sleep from yesterday because of the cake I just finished!

To be fair it was two cakes but the maltese cake is so easy -- it only took ME a couple of hours icon_lol.gif

-M

littlecake Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 13

the first cake i made was a double layer 8 inch round....double torted...took 5 hours and it wasn't even decorated....i sweat blood doing that cake....and i even had sore muscles HA HA HA

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 13

I remember my first cake, too! I made a train cake from the Wilton book for my son's 5th birthday! I was so excited and just knew I was gonna save some money...NOT! I spent hours decorating that cake....a royal PITA! It was just a b/c iced cake with a train made of out fondant which was attached to the sides like it was on a track riding around the cake. That cake would take me about 1 hour to do now and it certainly wouldn't cost $150+ !! tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%