Publix Cupcake Icing???

Decorating By twinkletwinkledliz Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 11:41am by Amy729

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 16

my nephew is inlovvvvvve with this icing...its very light and fluffy...any of you know how to make it? TIA icon_smile.gif

15 replies
Meloda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meloda Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 16

One of my girlfriends recently told me that she went to Publix and bought their buttercream. I didn't know that they would sell it but she says they do. She took a container home and iced cookies and cupcakes with it. Maybe your Publix will sell the icing to you. I live in Florida, I don't think Publix is nationwide(??) not sure. HTH

Melanie

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 16

hmmi am going to call and ask......im nt sure if its the same one they use on their cakes because it seens kinda airy ...yea i dont think it is nationwide, i live in miami.

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #4 of 16

yep, we sell it...it's sold by the pound and it's the same one we use for cakes.. our plain ole' buttercream. hth!

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:53am
post #5 of 16

ooh thanks ! around how much is it? i just want some to make my nephew some cupcakes=)

jwong9664 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:15am
post #6 of 16

i'm in charleston, sc so it's prob different in price... but i think we sell it for around $4 a lb. no prob, good luck with them! icon_wink.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:08am
post #7 of 16

yah! got to love that publix icing.... they made my wedding cake before I started doing me own cakes. awesome!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:45am
post #8 of 16

Is there a recipe us non-Southern gals can try to make? Hardly likely I'm run across a Publix here in Europe. icon_sad.gif

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 16

yup i called and it is $4 a lb as well...they told me to call the morning i am going to order so the can set it aside...my husband loves this as well so he is going to be thrilledicon_smile.gif

I am not sure if its anything like the smbc cuz i have never tried making it but it is definately not thick like buttercream.

Is this like an exclusive publix icing?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 16

Are you talking about the whipped frosting or their regular butter cream?

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 16

the one that goes on their cupcakes...im not sure if its whipped or not but it is very light....tastes yummy icon_smile.gif

jwong9664 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 16

the whipped is different (lighter and has to be refridgerated), but the buttercream is what you're talking about. it is publix exclusive i think, it comes in a block and we add tons of butter and water to it. imho i'm guessing the block is the shortening, p.sugar, and extracts. but we whip it and mix it in the store. i'm assuming the block is just for time saving purposes. hths!

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 16

so when i buy it , it will be whipped and ready right?

heyjude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjude Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:26am
post #14 of 16

I looooove Publix icing, so this thread caught my eye. I'm doing a Jack Daniel's cake for my boyfriend's 21st in a couple weeks, and I was wondering if it would be a good icing to use for the 'Faux Fondant' technique? If it is, I'm going to be soooo happy. icon_biggrin.gif

jwong9664 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:58am
post #15 of 16

yep, it'll already be whipped, but i would put it in your KA w/ a small amount of simple syrup just to make it smooth as possible. it tends to get 'holey' if it sits too long and needs rewhipping.

heyjude, it doesn't crust at all but if you're a great benchscrape icer than it may work!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #16 of 16

I just found this on the wilton forums.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=99043&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

It is supposed to be an imitation publix recipe. I haven't tried it, so if anyone does please post your results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%