Yikes! What Do I Do Now??

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm by lilacc01

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 4

OMG!! I just got a call from a lady wanting a cake to serve 400 people....in JUNE in am outside wedding!! YIKES!! She called saying she wanted fondant because she knows buttercream doesn't hold up well....I'm glad she understands that...whew...one relief!!

Anyways....she wants to do a tasting like this Saturday....I've never ever done a tasting at all!! I don't know what to do....She wants to try Vanilla, chocolate, and spice cake...she didn't mention any fillings...but, I know she wants that too...I guess I should call her about the fillings...anyways...I offered her 3 flavor choices and told her the tasting would be $25....and it would go towards her order if she booked with me.

The thing is....instead of ordering a tiered cake...she wants like individual 10-12 inch rounds.....should I charge extra for that?? I was thinking no...because it's not like I am making 400 mini cakes...just a

I am just freaking out right now!! I don't know what else I should bring to the tasting...What do you all bring?? And how many cupcakes should I take to her?? I mean if I am charging her $25 dollars for the tasting what should that include...how many cupcakes?

Please fellow cakers....totally spazzing right now...mind is spinning!!!

3 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 4

I've no experience with tastings, so I cannot help you there, but it sounds like she wants table cakes? With a 10" round that would be about 11 cakes, and seems to me there would be more than 11 tables. I would definately find out if she wants one for each table and how many of these she'll need. I would definately charge a PITA fee for all the individual cakes.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

Keep in mind that with individual cakes you'll need extra boards, and that it will take you longer to ice and decorate than it would to do a stacked cake. Not to mention the extra baking time...So don't underprice yourself. As far as the tasting goes, you could bring either one or two cupcakes of each flavor with coordinating icing on each, but don't feel guilty about charging for them, you're charging for your time, too. And if that gets applied to the cost of the cake, you're not charging her for them at all. Anyway, you won't be making only one cupcake of each, so you have to cover the cost of ingredients...

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 4

http://forum.cakecentral.com/how-do-you-run-your-ftopicp-5890493.html#5890493

This is a very helpful thread on how a few members on this site conduct tastings!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%