What Is Best Way To Get Business?

Business By gracecakes Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 11:41am by gracecakes

gracecakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,
I started making cakes for profit about six months ago. I was averaging about 4 cakes a month plus some for friends for free. In march and april I have had 0-2 cakes, and I don't see it picking up any time soon. I have one small wedding cake for a friend in June and a regular wedding cake plus whole dessert table for the month of October. I feel though that I am not picking up enough business. I do have two small children so maybe it is a blessing in disguise, but I am the type that feels like quiting when there is even a possibility of failure in site. I think my word of mouth/friend refferals are funning out. What is the best form of outside marketing. for a small business without a bakery. I rent a commercial kitchen for my big jobs and I am licensed.

3 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 4

Join a networking group, such as Rainmakers or BNI. Both of these have websites and you can find local chapters in your area. Chamber of commerce membership is also really beneficial.

Hook up with wedding planners, photographers, and wedding chapels. These are the folks brides tend to book first and most likely haven't booked their cake yet.

Hook up with caterers that do NOT do wedding cakes. Most of them don't.

If your local parks dept has facilities they rent out for birthdays and weddings, get your info to the person in charge of booking these places.

Any Justice of the Peace folks in your area? I found one and we send biz back and forth all the time.

that should get you started! thumbs_up.gif

tcakes65 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with Indydebi. Network with florists, photographers, bridal consultants, reception venues, etc. I have received more than half my referrals from these type of POCs. You have to hit the pavement and present your business to them. Pass out business cards every chance you get. I think my husband passes them out to everyone he comes in contact with. icon_lol.gif Do you have any small bridal shows in your area? That is also another way to bring business your way. The bigger shows can be expensive, but I just did a small show for $50, and I had 10 people book on the spot with several consultations scheduled. There are also many free advertising sites on the internet that will provide you with leads. Keep positive and don't give up because the business will eventually come your way. It just takes time.

gracecakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. I guess it is not going to just "happen". I have to make it happen and I have to make this a priority. Kiddies are kinda taking it all out of me right now. These ideas seam easy enough to start though and they don't seam supper expensive so thank you again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%