Need Idea Of Where To Put Birthday Names

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm by TexasSugar

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 10

So I am making a birthday cake for 4 people....I decided to do a "basket of Fruit" cake.....do the basketweave and then top the cake with strawberries, blueberries and maybe grapes. Well since I'm doing the basket weave around the entire cake and the entire top of the cake will have fresh fruit on it....I'm not sure where I should put "Happy Birthday, Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4!!!"
I thinking of making white plaques that look like a wavy ribbon and then pipping each of their names onto one and then sticking them into the cake with wire....but i'm not sure I like how it will look.......
Any ideas of how I can display "happy Birthday Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4!"

9 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 10

The first thing I thought of was a little, or a few little, "signs" on sticks sticking out of the basket. Kind of like the basket is for sale in a market.

But that might not be the look you are gong for here!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 10

I think your idea is great.... even little plaques to look like seed packets...one for each fruit you put on the cake!!?!

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

oh, the seed packet idea is a good one....
The "signs" ideas was kinda what I was thinking of....Too bad I don't know the age of each of the birthday persons...I could have put that as the "price"....lol

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe you could make fondant leaves to write the message/names on. Then they could be placed on the board leaning onto the basket naturally. I did something similar on the attached cake. I couldn't figure out how to get the "Happy B-day" message across without ruining the design. so I made the leaves and put them on the sides. The message was there, but I felt like it blended in. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1203474

USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 10

Oh thats a good idea too, putting them on leaves...that would go with the fruit theme!
BTW your grass looks so good on that cake, very realistic....

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 10

If the basket is going to have handles maybe you could have a "pricetag" hanging from the handle with the Birthday wishes on that.
I have gone to the the florist a few times and used a floral message pick to hold a message too. That may not be what you want here though.

craftyamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyamanda Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 10

You could also make a plaque out of gum paste or fondant and apply it to the side of the cake on the basketweave and put dots around it. It would make it look like one of those baskets that have the plaques on the side with the designer name or ones that have been given for an occasion. The only problem is that if you have 4 names that might be a big plaque.

You could also write the names around the board and separate them by pieces of fruit or dots of icing. Hope that helps!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 10

I really like all of these ideas! What came to my mind was a small oval left un-basketwoven (I'm sure that's not a word) on the front. Maybe you could trace a small oval on the front with a toothpick after you do your base icing. Then leave that part empty when you do the basketweave. After that you could write the names in that oval before you do a dot or shell around the oval. Make sense?

I have to do one in a couple weeks similar to what you're talking about (except flowers instead of fruit) and this is how I plan to do it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 10

If I don't have room on the cake or it doesn't fit into he design I have also made my cake board slightly bigger and written on the cake board itself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%