Topper Attachment Question

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:41pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 5

How do you attach a porcelain cake topper? Ideas for both fondant and buttercream would be helpful.

I am worried that:
1. The topper may not be food safe.
2. Any icing that may get on the topper will damage the porcelain.

Thank you so much for your help!
Barbaranne

4 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 5

I always set the topper on a cake board to protect it and the cake. Heavy toppers still need dowelling in the cake below it. If the porcelin is glazed (shiny) the icing will just wipe of. If the topper is bisque (not glazed) then BC can stain it. If you don't want to use icing near the topper - tape the topper to the board and then attach the board to the cake with icing.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

How do you attach a porcelain cake topper? Ideas for both fondant and buttercream would be helpful.

I am worried that:
1. The topper may not be food safe.
2. Any icing that may get on the topper will damage the porcelain.

Thank you so much for your help!
Barbaranne

I know that some of the toppers my brides had cost $$$$... I usually recommended they sit it on the table, and use flowers for the top of the cake.. I did not like taking responsibility if something happened to it.. ouch.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 5

If it is heavy a cake board will work great, just make sure you give it dowel support so it doesn't sink on you...I have one coming up next week that is lighter though...I am just going to cut a piece of parchment paper to place underneath it, it is a 50 year old topper from the brides grandmother's wedding and she said it was made on a cookie and the cookie is still attached. So we do not want it to get ruined by the buttercream. I can't wait to see it, the bride is thrilled to be using it!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess I didn't have it set up to notify me when there was a reply, so I thought there were none!

Thanks for your help!!

My topper was small and lightweight. I was worried about the buttercream ruining it, so I wound up using the top to a container. The base of the topper fit exactly inside the groves of the lid and it was the same coloring as my accent frosting. I was so unhapy with the whole cake because of lots of problems that I didn't really care that I was using a lid at that point. Everyone thought I had put lavender piping gel around the base as an accent and were surprised when they saw me remove the lid! I thought that was funny, especially since I didn't like it.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%