Polymer Clay Tools-Can They Be Used For Fondant?

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:24pm by CakeDiva73

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 12

Mainly my question is, are they food safe? I am referring to a new item, not one that has ever been used on clay. I saw some clay tools at Joanns, I think they were Donna Dewberry or something. They had some nice patterns and the tools looked better than the Wilton. Also curious about the push molds.

Thank you!

11 replies
wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 12

My Wilton instructor showed me that section and now I use them instead of the Wilton stuff...much better selection and prices. Also look at the clay books for fondant figure ideas

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 12

I use more stuff from the clay and scrapbook sections than I do "cake stuff" most of the time. They are cheaper and more useful and better made most of the time too!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Mainly my question is, are they food safe?
Thank you!

Technically.... probably not.. but many of us use them. Just make sure they are dedicated to fondant only.. They do have many great toys that work beautifully with fondant....

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 12

Use the push molds all the time. I then paint the items with food dye/gel mixed with a little clear vanilla or vodka to thin it.

Just dust the molds well with a mixture of 1/2 powder sugar and 1/2 corn starch. If it is humid you may have to put in the fridge for a few minutes to harden then let dry for about 24 hours before painting. Store after drying in an air tight container.

Using the new clay tools that came out, they are sturdier than wilton and give a better cut.

I use alot of the sculpy tools and books for fondant.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 12

I use them too...you can definately use them, just clean them before you do.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 12

I use all the tools and some of the molds whenever I find nice ones at Michael"s. I wash them really well, and I use shortening on the molds.
I also buy the Sculpy & Polymer clay magazines, they have instructions on how to make all their figurines.

check out some of the animals I did by following the instructions from a polymer clay book.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1212373

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 12

Watch out if you try to buy the tools that look like polymer tools from Ateco...They're food safe, but the FIRST time I used the ball tool the ball snapped off the handle!!! icon_mad.gif I think you'd probably have more luck with actual metal clay tools that you can put some pressure on! (The Ateco ones have blue handles and white shaped tools on both ends of the handles. ---Beware!)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess I didn't have it set up to notify me when there was a reply, so I thought there were none!

Thanks for your help!!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 12

Wow, I've always heard of using the polymer tools but not the books/mags. I guess i'll have to look into that, Thanks icon_smile.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 12

The books are great for learning how to do figures. That is what I used to do my figures on my "reflections" cake in my album. It was especially helpful to learn how to do faces. What I liked was that the book I pulled out showed you how to do easy figures and then showed more difficult ones if you really want to get into it. I wish I could remember the title of the book (got it out of the library). I really would like to have it to own.
I use clay tools all the time. And, actually, I use the cheaper stuff that is made for kids, I guess. It comes in green packaging (I can't remember the name of the brand). It works well for imprints, molds, tools, clay guns, etc. etc.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 12

Yep, I use them too. Run them thru the dishwasher on hot and go to town...the kids craft aisle at Michaels have some neat texture plates for cheap, cheap..... I look there and on the polymer clay aisle too.

I am really trying to find a metal ball tool that doesn't cost $15 for thinning petals and such..... I have the green wilton one but I saw a video where they used a large metal ball tool and it seemed to go faster and was more evenly smooth too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%