Traveling With Cake???

Decorating By shannonann Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm by shannonann

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:27am
post #1 of 8

My family wants me to make a three tier, decorated cake for a family celebration. The problem is that I live 600 miles away. How much should I do in advance and travel with and how much should I do there? I have two kids and when we travel our car is VERY full. But, when we get there, there will be five screaming kids in the house and it's very hard for me to work in those conditions. I could really use some input!

7 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #2 of 8

I would not attempt to travel that far with a cake personally.

What you could do is have someone on the other end bake your layers and freeze them for you, and hit the store for whatever else you need.

You pack your tools and premake any fondant/gumpaste/RI deco. Plan on what you're going to do, and keep it simple. Someone take the kids to a movie, and you stay behind to do the cake.

shannonann Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your help. That's a good idea.

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 8

I have the same situation. I live in WV and my cousin is getting married in July in Chicago. I plan on baking and freezing my cakes, having all of my icing and decorations made up and my cakes will thaw in a cooler on the way up. By the time I get there the cake will be thawed and I can decorate. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully I won't have any major disasters.
Michele B. in WV

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 8

Could you transport the three tiers unstacked, then stack & finish decorating on site?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 8

I traveled about 230 miles and I baked all my layers and froze a week ahead of time. Then I made all of my fillings and icing at home and packed in a cooler. Traveled with it all and then actually did everything but the fondant and paint in the hotel and then the next day I finished it at my aunts house
(It is the tiger tiered cake in my photos)

laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #7 of 8

I agree. I would make that trip with my own cake if I waited to stack it and made sure to be there atleast 2 hours before the event to stack and touch-up! icon_smile.gif

shannonann Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much for your input. Now I have alot of great options to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%