Favorite Charities

Lounge By booger Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:22pm by MichelleM77

booger Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:27am
post #1 of 17

Not really a game but it would bring attention to some charities out there, and for those that we already know we could see what charity is more popular. The reason I like this is because every year I contribute to various charities, and think you could never get enough.

So one I have contributed to is

Breast Cancer Awareness

16 replies
veejaytx Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:31am
post #2 of 17

Hi Booger, are you participating in the free clicks for Breast Cancer? You can sign up for an email daily reminder, plus there is shopping that contributes...and there are five other causes that benefit from our free clicks.

We have a thread going here, and here is the link for the site:

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2

This is a good idea for a thread.

One of my favorites is the SPCA.

flayvurdfun Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:35am
post #3 of 17

Wow I too love the Breast Cancer (or any other cancer causes) and I too love the SPCA.... just last week I made a contribution to

F.A.A.N (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network)

This is a good thread...because until Trace Adkins brought it up I never thought of it, and I have a good friend whose daughter has severe food allergies !

booger Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:42am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Hi Booger, are you participating in the free clicks for Breast Cancer? You can sign up for an email daily reminder, plus there is shopping that contributes...and there are five other causes that benefit from our free clicks.

We have a thread going here, and here is the link for the site:

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2

This is a good idea for a thread.

One of my favorites is the SPCA.

yes ma'am I do! icon_smile.gif another charity

USO

Bettycrockermommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 17

Great idea for a thread!!

my favorite charities are Susan G. Komen Race for the cure. My husband is a Shriner, so we contribute to Shriners Hospitals, as well as the local children's clinic.

flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #6 of 17

American Cancer Society is another that I have contributed to

indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 17

March of Dimes.....

When I was 16, my baby brother was born and was rushed from our hometown to Riley Children's Hospital in Indpls. He died when he was 3 months old ... on my mother's 40th birthday ... he never came home from the hospital. He had a number of birth defects, such as instead of having 2 kidneys, he had one kidney and one cyst.

The babies I saw in that intensive care unit, when I was only 16 years old, are forever etched in my memory. It is amazing that they made it thru the birthing process. It was horrible and amazing all at the same time .... true testimony to the miracle of birth.

March of Dimes. Always.

(geesh, just writing this small bit has made me cry, remembering those little miracles!) icon_cry.gif

leily Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #8 of 17

Sugan G. Komen

Katie Beckett Foundation - this one helps families whose children are sick and they don't know what it is or their disease doesn't fit into any other foundations standards (like cancer, etc...) My cousin was undiagnosed from birth up to the age of around 8 before they found out she had a portion of her DNA missing. There are only 4 recorded cases of it in the world and the other three died before they reached the age of two. There is not any foundation out there to help with bills and her family but this foundation helped her family out a lot.

Ronald McDonald house. Another one of my favorites because of my cousin. They helped my Aunt and the family through a lot of unknown days and nights. And helped extended family in times of emergency when they had to travel to visit.

flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:27am
post #9 of 17

Muscular Dystrophy Association.
"Alzheimer's Disease Research"

I used to do lots with MDA, when I was younger, now its like the March of Dimes I walk when I can.

As for the Alzheimer's Disease Research" just last yearI walked in the Memory Walk for it. No, no one in my family has it or has had it, but I work in a senior citizen nursing home/Independent Living Facility, and it kills me to see how that and Dementia affect these sweet people.

booger Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:08am
post #10 of 17

World Trade Center Families is another

Auryn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 17

I have been a member of the World Wildlife Fund since I was 9 years old and will continue to support their work until the end.

flayvurdfun Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

I have been a member of the World Wildlife Fund since I was 9 years old and will continue to support their work until the end.

Totally forgot about them! icon_sad.gif

Easter Seals is another.

booger Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:01am
post #13 of 17

American Red Cross

lisad1 Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 17

St Judes - they never turn a sick child (w/ cancer) away because they can't afford the treatment.

And I also donate to Seniors of Atlanta. They tend to be forgotten, and
I do it in memory of my Nana! icon_wink.gif

jo_ann Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 17

Mine are

St. Judes Childrens Hospital

Disabled American Veterens

ASPCA

mkolmar Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #16 of 17

Breast cancer awareness, american cancer society, I donate to different military charities, american red cross, missions, march of dimes and I'm a member of Autism Speaks.

*Please for anyone who doesn't know what Autism Speaks is all about look it up. It's a wonderful cause for families dealing with autism (like my little boy). They are fighting for insurance companies to include treatment for kids with autism which they currently do not offer. I pay out of pocket (as well as every family who has kids with autism) for my kid to get the treatments he needs. The insurance companies are saying that it would increase rates by 45% if they did when in fact it would be less than 1%. (We have the data to back this up) If a 96 year old has a stroke he will receive speech therapy. However, my 6 year old does not qualify. It sickening.* Ok...I'm climbing down off of my soap box now. icon_razz.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #17 of 17

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I'm walking again in about a week and a half for their Great Strides event and I have a donation link on m website currently, and I had a great time participating in their wine event last month.

I found out I was a carrier when I was pregnant with my now 10yo son. I went through the last few months of my pregnancy not knowing if my son would have CF or not (we both had DNA testing, but there was the thought of false-negative results for my now husband and had to wait for a sweat test on my son after he was born). He has a case of asthma and 10-years-old-going-on 16 attitude, but the sweat test was negative. icon_smile.gif I have since met some wonderful people involved with the foundation and some who have children with CF. It seems no matter where I turn I meet someone else. The CFF is a great foundation as more than 90 cents of every dollar goes to research.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%