Ice Cream Cake Help!

Decorating By feronilee Updated 10 May 2008 , 1:25pm by TooMuchCake

feronilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feronilee Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 7

I have a customer that requested an Icecream cake. I've made a few of them but I have never iced or frosted one. (I just like icecream cake). I am pretty sure that BC will be a disaster not to mention way sweet and I am not sure if Stablized WC is the answer. Anyone know what DQ, carvel or Friendlys uses? Any ideas would be great.

6 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 7

Well DQ generally just uses Ice cream and pipes the designs on top with piping gel. When I make Ice cream cakes they are actually cke on the bottom and cake on the top with ice cream in the middle and then I just use buttercream to frost and decorate. You have to work fast and keep putting it back into the freezer in order not to melt the ice cream too much.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:17am
post #3 of 7

Why don't you soften a half gallon of icecream, then put it in your mixer and beat it for a minute or two (so it will be smooth) and then spread it on the cake. p.s. I am guessing this is how it is done, I have never made an ice cream cake. Best of luck to you.

feronilee Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 7

I didn't think to use Icecream to frost with, I wonder if icecream in a piping bag is even possible?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:15am
post #5 of 7

All of them I have ever gotten from 31 flavors (every year for my birthday) are "frosted" in ice cream and then border & decorations are buttercream.

feronilee Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #6 of 7

Thankyou for your help

Just for anyone else who may have a simlar problem in the future, After exhausting research I found that DQ frosts with BetterCream
I am using a frosting that is frozen (I bought it from my cake supplier)
It is shelf stable but isn't crisco or butter based That being said, I certainly don't want to know what is in it.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

I worked as a decorator in a high-end ice cream shop, and we used Rich's Bettercream straight from the bucket. Or we ganached some of the cakes.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%