Need Help With Pricing This Please

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm by Tina_Mace

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #1 of 5

someone has asked me to make little individual key lime pies for next week and I have no idea what to charge for each one. She is wanting me to put them in those little graham cracker crust pie shells that are like a single serving. I just have never made key lime pie before so I don't have any idea what to charge. Please help you have a suggestion, also feel free to give a recipe if you have a good one. thanks all

4 replies
leily Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

Best advice I can give you right now is to find a recipe and price out the ingredients. Then make sure you add extra time to the assembly, baking, and handling of the pies since they are individual ones.

Sorry I can't help more I have never made one before.

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

I agree. You'll have to price it out, that's the best way, and don't forget to add in your labor. Since their individual ones, make sure you pay attention to how long you are working on them, and add that in. I've seen mini pies anywhere from 2 dollars to 5 dollars, depending on whether you add a good meringue to the top or if you decide to just put in the key lime filling, and add a little wedge of candied lime to the center.

Good luck!! I wish I had a good key lime recipe for you! icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44am
post #4 of 5

Is there any garnish? Are they a 1-2 bite, or a 3-4. If a plain 1-2 in my area you can get 1.75 easy. If decorated 2-2.25. It's also going to depend on how many your making. Per piece price is more expensive on smaller batches. I would charge more per piece to make 15 than I would 30. Call a bakery, and ask for a quote.

Mike

Tina_Mace Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5

Here's my recipe:

14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
3 egg yolks

Mix ingredients together and pour in 8" graham cracker crust shell. This size is normally cooked at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Not sure how long you would cook it for the small size.

The important thing here is to make sure you use real "key lime juice" -- that is the key (no pun intended!). If you don't use the real stuff, you won't get the tart flavor that key lime pie is known for.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%