Petit-Four Dummies?????

Decorating By SWEETBAKES Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 4:34am by SWEETBAKES

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

Hey CCers-

I have a question. Has ANYONE heard of, seen, or know where to get dummy petit-fours? I am trying to avoid cutting sheet cake dummies smaller!

Thanks

4 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure how small the petit-fours are that you make. But I would search for styrofoam cubes, (which prove difficult to find while I was looking online). My next suggestion would be to check out DallasFoam here: http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

If you need something they do not have you can ask for a custom quote. With all of the other items they make, what you are looking for may be on hand as "scraps" from some of their other items.

Another thought is to look at a craft store for small wooden building blocks, but I'm not sure if you could get them small enough.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, dear, I know I'm not that smart and all.... icon_redface.gif

Yes, I agree with gmcakes, that small wooden blocks would work very well. Trying to ice styrofoam that small might be hard because it is so light, and sort of bounces around as you try to decorate it. Craft stores sell wooden blocks for making children's toys, toy stores sell them, and sometimes you can find them at the dollar store.

If you have a saw at home, cut some 1 x 2" maple into small cubes (or, find someone who has a chop saw, it would be a 5 minute job with a jig to make you dozens).

Hope this helps! (Sorry for my silly joke, too). icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

Can I be so braizen to ask why you would want to make dummy petit fours? Are they for pictures for your portfolio?

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't even think of using wooden blocks. Guess that's why we ask questions!

To answer your "braizen" question jkalman icon_lol.gif , I did want to do them for a portfolio picture. But, I also work as a sous pastry chef in a bakery and wanted to do a dummy stand with them and some dummy cakes on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%