Working With Fruit On Cakes

Decorating By Tomoore Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 1:17am by FromScratch

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

I am preparing cupcakes this weekend for a wedding. Almost all of the cupcakes are garnished with fruit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/specialtcakes/2403278335/

I am nervous, because every time I work with fruit, I have problems with the juice that comes later. Even when I prepared the cupcake in the picture for the bride, within hours there was a small stream of juice.

What can I do about this? I know that this is a natural thing...but what would you do to prevent a messy situation?

Thanks,
Toni

5 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 6

OK, I have no clue about the fruit situation, still trying to figure it out myself. I just wanted to say that your cakes are AMAZING!!!! OMG Can I be you when I grow up? seriously! Beautiful work!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

I think the juices are just a natural thing.... Try to wait as long as possible before placing fruit on the cupcakes.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 6

you can try to seal the fruit with a little clear gelatin or if you have an adversion to dead animal by product you can warm and sieve a little apricot jam and brush it onto the frut lightly with a pastry brush.

then place onto the cupcake.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #5 of 6

Stsapph, THANKS!

All, think I'd be okay to slice the fruit Friday night, store in fridge and put on cupcakes Sat afternoon?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

I would slice the fruit saturday morning if you could. TBW gave you some good suggestions though. icon_smile.gif I must admit that I tend to avoid fresh cut fruit ON a cake.. IN a cake is different.. icon_lol.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%