Ideas For A Cancer Victim's Cake

Decorating By lutie Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm by Bellatheball

lutie Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 11

This is a strange, but true request. A member of my extended family is having a radical mastectomy on both breasts in a couple of weeks. She is an ordained minister and has it "all together". The request came to me today to make her a cake for her "pre-surgery party". She wants a cake to signify the removal of the offending two parts, but wants it done tastefully. (Not some adult-themed cake thing). I am asking if any of you have any tasteful, yet fun, ideas for a cake. The client is positive about the removal and knows this is the way for her survival. She wants an "upbeat"-looking cake that will make everyone laugh and have a great time at her "lopping off" party.
So, I thought about making a cake from the neck to the hips of a fancy dress and pearls that hang over the "darts". How would you all handle this? Please understand that the positive attitude is what she wants to portray, with a little fun included. Only women will be at the party, if that helps. Remember: the ideas must be fun, proper, and NOT X-rated. That (meaning the "X" thing) is not acceptable, nor does it have a place here on this forum.

10 replies
coffeecake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 11

How about a 'goodbye party' theme?

Or maybe a giant "pink slip" - we regret to inform you we are downsizing and your services are not longer needed - you could tie in some type of refernce to the economy being tough and needing to make "cuts" where we can...

Tough thing to joke about - especially not knowing the person.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 11

I would make a trash can full of bras and a cutesy saying across the can. Maybe something like "goodbye girls!" or "freedom at last!" icon_smile.gif

I wish her good luck in her surgery, a positive attitude is some the best medicine you can have thumbs_up.gif

DoniB Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 11

A sheet cake with before and after torsos? I'm picturing the one on the left having cupcakes for her 'assets', and the one on the right with mini-muffins...

just a thought! I can't wait to see what suggestions you get. icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 11

will she be having reconstructive surgery???

if yes...then

"Perky forever!"

Silicon (Saline) wins again! (or beats cancer -- beats fat -- beats gravity)

"at last .. they match!"

"finally, a size I can live with!"

When life gives you cancer...get new (boobs/breasts)

and just some other concepts.

the quickest way to loose 10 lbs! (this could be w/ a scale)

FREEDOM --- NO more mammograms!

CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 11

I read through them all, there are some good ones here but Doug had one that made me think...

another saying...
"I will live with out them" I love the bras in the garbage can along with that....

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 11

I like the "burning bra" theme (a sugar bra with little sugar flames) with the "free at last" theme.

YummyFireMummy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #8 of 11

I was just about to write the "burn the bra" theme too....It certainly is a hard one....good luck and make sure you post a pic of the final design

dinas27 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #9 of 11

I quite like the bra burning as well!

babybundt Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #10 of 11

my mom had a mastectomy in oct. and she is cured now. how about 3 sets of boobs on the cake. a before -a now -and an after. before kinda saggy. now-flat. after a new set of perky boobs. and somewhere on the cake you could put the pink ribbon. i actually made bra cookies for my moms dr. used a heart cookie and pipped on pink stars and the straps. they were a hit. you actually could make a big heart cake and decorate it as a pink bra. and make a necklace that is the pink ribbon symbol for breast cancer hanging in the decolatage. i wish your client well. she will do well with her positve attitude.....................

Bellatheball Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 11

can you do a carved cake? If so maybe you could do one of a woman driving a convertible and tossing her bra out the back?

Quote by @%username% on %date%