Anybody Use The Food Coloring Markers?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 12

I was thinking of buying some. Any recommendations on brands, fine tip or whatever? What all can you do with them? Do they only work on fondant?

11 replies
TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 12

they work on fondant excellently! just let the fondant set for a moment. I like the ATECO ones, the wilton ones have a point that drags on the fondant.

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 12

I REALLY like the Americolor pens, which have a fine tip and don't bleed as much as the other brand I have (don't recall the name).

I've only ever used them on fondant.

lynm701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynm701 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 12

I have the Wilton "Foodwriters" with the fine tip. I've only used them on fondant but was happy with the way they worked. I don't know about how they are on anything else, but really worked great on the fondant. Hope this helps a little.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 12

I recently just saw the Americolor ones and they look great. They have a find tip which my Wilton ones lack. They work great on fondant and gumpaste.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #6 of 12

Thanks...I think I'm gonna buy some!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #7 of 12

I bought some Americolor pens a very long time ago, but never got around to using them. Then I had to do some large bingo cookies for my niece's shower. I used a glace icing, and once dry, used the pens to write the numbers. Even after sitting in my cupboard for years, they worked great!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 12

I also have to Americolor ones. I have used them on gumpaste, fondant, cookie glaze and to fill in on my edible images when my printer didn't quite do its job correctly.

I have actully thought about tracing pictures on the icing sheets using them but I haven't had a chance to try that.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by luelue1971

I also have to ones. I have used them on gumpaste, fondant, cookie glaze and to fill in on my edible images when my printer didn't quite do its job correctly.

I have actully thought about tracing pictures on the icing sheets using them but I haven't had a chance to try that.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have the Wilton brand edible markers and though they have a tapered point, they're just not as fine as I'd like, but I did use the black one to draw a picture on an icing sheet for my Easter cake this year. It worked out great (though I still would have preferred a finer point). Here's the link to the photo if you'd like to see the results: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1202909.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

Grace, I love that cake. I didn't realize how you had made it the first time I saw it in the gallery.

It's really beautiful.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 12

I use food markers for small details on colorflo and fondant but what I like them best for is cookie baking with my grandchildren. We bake sugar cookies and when they are cool we use a 1" paint brush with thinned royal icing and paint on a thin coat. When they are dry, which doesn't take any more than an hour, we draw and color on the hard surface. It limits the amount of sugar and coloring the kids get in the cookies which is healthier than using icing to decorate.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much, luelue1971! The only reason I linked it here is to show how the markers work on a frosting sheet (same as an icing sheet). It was an experiment for me - I had tried looking it up and couldn't seem to find anything about doing it, so I took a shot and tried it and it worked great. It's something I will definitely do again in the future if needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%