Extra Kitchenaid Mixer

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm by joenshan

SugarBakerz Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all... I opened my bakery about a year ago now and I overbought on my KA mixers. I have a KA Pro 600 in Silver Sage (which I think is now retired), what price do you think I should sell this bad boy for? I know I won't get my money back but hey at least I will get something, maybe.... any suggestions from any of you who have sold mixers online before?

12 replies
Doug Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 13

if ebay....

start at $100 opening bid

and put a RESERVE price on it of at least $180 to $200. (it won't sell until bid goes over that amount. great way to make sure it doesn't go for cheap)

Karabear1125 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 13

I always start a low bid amount on ebay like a dollar, just to avoid the big fees I found that people like to 'bid' and I have gotten more bids and more money that way, and like Doug said put a reserve. Do what you think is best though!

You could always post an ad on craigs list also..

SugarBakerz Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 13

what is craig's list?

DaisyLisa17 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 13

Craig's List is sort of like ebay, but its not an auction, and you can look for items in your area. A lot of times, you can pick stuff up from people so you dont have to pay for s/h. There are also services listed on Craig's List... ie childcare, and they have classifieds for your area too. Its just a good way to find things closer to where you live.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #6 of 13

Or you could just sell it to me....lol

2sdae Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:42am
post #7 of 13

shoot, any of us would prolly buy it off ya, but deff do put a restricted price on it or reserve.

joenshan Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:51am
post #8 of 13

If it helps, I bought an Epicurean off of Craigslist 2 years ago for $110. She was asking $150. She didn't have any manuals or the shield, so I offered her the $110 and to pick it up from her husband's place of work and she took it. So if you go with ebay, start low and let the bidding go up, if you go with craigslist, list for a little higher with the expectation of negotiating down.

HTH

ElectricCook Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 13

If you go with ebay make sure you end the auction on a Monday pref in the afternoon. Most people check out ebay on Monday when they get back to work. Also make sure you have a reserve so that it is not undersold. Another factor will be shipping, you don't want to lose money on that, Use paypal so you don't get stiffed if they don't pay.

MeNameJane Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 13

Sugarbakerz,

Craig's list is not like Ebay. It is more like free classified ads online. You're located right outside of Dothan so you would have to post under the Dothan website which is http://dothan.craigslist.org.

I'm not sure that craig's list will work for you though as (like yourself) I doubt many people in your area know it exists. I have checked the Montgomery site for furniture and the Montgomery site generally tends to have more stuff listed. I found my roommate after listing on craig's list. Watch out though, there are LOTS of scammers. Be very cautious using it. You might consider posting on both and just seeing where it gets you before you spend money to list it on Ebay. It won't hurt to let it sit for a couple of weeks to see if you can get some bites from craigs list, that is unless you need the money.

I live in East Montgomery! That's cool that you live near me. Have you found anyone else on here in Alabama? I've been looking but not with much luck. I'd love to pick your brain about some things if you ever have time.

Does anyone know if there is a thread or a grouping of threads on this forum to find people who live near you?

notjustcake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 13

I'm a big Ebay buyer and seller I even sold a car on Ebay!

I would start the auction low to avoid the high fees.
Mixers and cake decorating supplies are on high demand so you will get bids.
I would pack it have it weighed and then enter the shipping amount on your listing, you don't want to guess the weight on this bad boy, you could lose money.
Offer insurance and highly recommend it.
Accept only Paypal beware of thiefs.
I prefer Ebay because of the Paypal protection but it wouldn't hurt to list it on Craiglist. Good Luck.

notjustcake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 13

I'm a big Ebay buyer and seller I even sold a car on Ebay!

I would start the auction low to avoid the high fees.
Mixers and cake decorating supplies are on high demand so you will get bids.
I would pack it have it weighed and then enter the shipping amount on your listing, you don't want to guess the weight on this bad boy, you could lose money.
Offer insurance and highly recommend it.
Accept only Paypal beware of thiefs.
I prefer Ebay because of the Paypal protection but it wouldn't hurt to list it on Craiglist. Good Luck.

joenshan Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 13

[quote="MeNameJane"]Sugarbakerz,

Watch out though, there are LOTS of scammers. Be very cautious using it.

Good point, be aware of anyone that responds with wording like "I want to buy the item you have on Craigslist" (does not mention specifically what the item is) or if they say they will have a courier come by to pick it up. You should be able to spot the legitimate inquiries, but do know that there are scammers. I once listed concert tickets on there and one response said they would send a moving truck to pick up my 'item'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%