Customer Question-Long

Decorating By emccle Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 12:15am by leily

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have been bringing all my practice cakes to work, and have gotten very positive comments about them. So as I was leaving on Friday, one of my co-workers asked me if I would make a 1/4 sheet cake for another lady whose last day was Thursday. I didn't really have a price in mind, since I've never done a sheet cake, and I asked her what she wanted on it. She said she'd think about it over the weekend, and let me know on Monday. Well that was yesterday and she never brought up the subject, and never said anything today either. Should I have handled this differently? I didn't want to be pushy, and I don't know her well enough to ask her outright why she changed her mind. Any advice? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
rebekahjohnson81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebekahjohnson81 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 5

being a newbie myself, and having never sold any cakes (its mainly a home hobby for me), I can't give you great advice, but i know if it were me i'd have just gone up to her and asked her if she'd given any thought to the design, etc. but i'm the type that doesn't hesitate to be a loud mouth about things and confront people icon_biggrin.gif good luck!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 5

I'd just ask her if she still was interested in you doing the cake. I don't think that's pushy. I usually approach situations like this in a sort of "either way is okay with me, I just need to know so I can plan" kind of way.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

She may have forgotten she didn't get back with you (happened to me once) so it would be a good idea if you asked her if she still wanted it. Even if she says no, at least you aren't wondering about it any more.

Deanna

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #5 of 5

Most people who want a sheet cake have the "wal-mart" mentality that they can order the cake the day before and it will be ready.

I would contact her and ask her if she was still interested in the cake because you need to start getting ready for it now. That way she gets the idea that it takes time and you are not going to whip one up the night before for the order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%